Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

This is an excellent photo of proper line placement. The first line at almost every fire should be positioned so as to cut the spread of fire. I realize that the great temptation is to put water on the fire. However, in this case, more good things will happen if the initial line is stretched between savable victims and the fire - or between savable property and the fire - do one you do both!

Congratulations Northbrook Il. FD for a good job!

Photo Credit: Tim Olk

Skip Coleman

Views: 265

Comment

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

Comment by Jeff Betz on June 10, 2008 at 10:02pm
I'd go for the front door also, and back them with another ASAP; with a heavy temptation to hit the garage also. But wait, can't have opposing hose lines, so likely not a good idea. With that much fire upon arrival it would take some guts to not go with the "moth to flame" method, just my thoughts.
Comment by Todd McKee on June 5, 2008 at 6:34pm
Chief:
At our department we practice RECEO.
R=Rescue
E=Exposures
C= Confine or Contain
E=Exposures
O= Over Haul
Our First line would go in the front to door to protect means Exposures and means of egress. At that time we would attack and protect probably at the same time. At the same time other interior and exterior efforts will be happening. Please let me know what your thoughts are on this. Remember be safe and train as training will save lives-Todd
Comment by Kurt Callisen on June 2, 2008 at 1:26pm
Dear Chief, I agree that the first line should go between the saveable victims and the fire. But in the case of this fire, If I was the officer of the first eng. I would have taken a 21/2 to the fire in the fire in the garage. 1. this fire was in a town not close to where i work. So I know the response was 2 eng. 1 truck and the chief. an once the chief was on the scene (if not sooner) the alarm would be up graded and another eng. truck squad ambo and chief would be coming. So I would have the 2nd line and the truck enter the house and start a search for people and fire extension. the 3rd line would go to back up the 2nd line or go to the 2nd floor to help stop extension. 2. there is a fire door that is between the garage and the house, this door leads to a laundry room or the kitchen. and with dry wall on the ceiling this will slow down the advancement of the fire. this will give some time to the crews to get a head of the fire that may be in the house. If I take a 13/4 line in the house and open the door to the garage if I can't hold my position then I expose more of the house to the fire and smoke. The 21/2 that my department uses flows 350gpm, that is going to make quick work of the fire in the garage.

Stay Safe
Kurt

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service