Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

As an officer in an all volunteer company, serving approximately 10,000 residents, with mixed occupancies, what structures do you feel should definitely have pre-plans completed?  As many of us know, the only true way to gain access to a residential unit is to have an incident there or be invited by the resident, however, this usually does not happen.  I am looking to prepare a list of structures within my first due as well as within the town to complete pre-plans on in order to compile a database of some type in order to place these pre-plans on the apparatus computers for officers or incident commanders to use. 

Also, as a second question, what are some of your target hazards you have identified in your own locals which may either be a target hazard within your own locals, or something we often miss when creating such lists, as well as any additional target hazards which are common to all areas.

Any help is greatly appreciated with this endeavor.

Views: 337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our department is made up of volunteers also that serve around 12,000. We found that we need to break our businesses up into "high priority" targets and attack one by one.

Coals mines with explosives, gas stations, large businesses, gun and ammo, ect.

It's working so far.

Good luck.

Ziggy,

I would consider everything that is not a SFD a target hazard for various reasons. Also, since most of your working fires are in SFD & OMD, I suggest you start with your OMDs. As you said, you won't be able to get in to the SFD's, but you can get a pretty good idea of the layout of most of your SFD's from the outside.

After completing the OMDs, I would consider doing your non-sprinklered industrial occupancies, and then your smaller non-sprinklered commercial occupancies (ie.. service garages, taxpayer stores). Beyond that, I would consider doing doing the larger sprinklered buildings and working your way down to the smaller sprinklered buildings. 

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service