Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Hey I am not currently affiliated with any fire dept, but I am interested in enrolling in a school to get my fire 1 and 2 this summer at my own expense. I looked into brayten field in TX but they were full and I have called around a few other places but have struck out because they only train those in their own county departments. I am definitely willing to travel for training, and be away from home for a long period of time. My overall goal will be to join one of my local fire dept's, but i rather come in semi-turn key with my fire 1 & 2...i know there is a probationary period.

About me:
Currently I own a tow company and am wreckmaster certified to the highest degree, which includes recovery techinques, calculating line loads on rigging, high and low pressure airbag training, traffic management, etc. Im not interested in a new hang out for the latest gossip, being lazy on the scenes, or to join a FD just to say "im a fire fighter". I simply enjoy helping people and want to do my part for the community.

Views: 284

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Check out:

http://www.montana.edu/wwwfire/

9 days, around $2000 for a civilian plus lodging and food.  Lunch is provided and they have some turnouts.  IFSAC cert and HazMat Ops after you finish and turn in you FF1 task book.

Thank you, I will check that one out. By chance is there any others that you may know of?

EOC Tech. Fire Training Center in OKC.  

About $4000 for an 18 week recruit academy.  You get FFI, FFII, LPG, EMT, STICO, Haz Mat Awareness and OPS, Intro. to tech. rescue, Auto extrication Basic and Advanced, plus more.  405-390-9591 or www.eocftc.org 

Just an update. I choose Louisiana State University Fire Emergency Training Institute. They had an opening, theres only eleven of us in our class and there is usually 2-3 instructors with us when we are outside applying what we learned in the classroom. So its a very good learning enviroment. The instructors and everyone here are really good people, they care about us and even come back after hours when they are not being paid to help us when we need it. Not to mention this school is great because they provide us with a  2 meals a day, a place to sleep, shower, wash our clothes, etc. I know some of the other programs arent setup this nice so its less cost on me. The only bad thing I can really say about my experience here is that i sometimes wish i waited and did it in the fall. On the upside out of 14 weeks we have 4 more weeks left til we walk the stage. We are NFPA 1403, HAZMAT Awareness, HAZMAT OPS, and 1st Responder Certified so far. Before we leave we will be certified at Fire 1, Fire 2, and Driver/Operations levels also. If you want to challenge yourself mentally and physically this is the program for you. I would highly reccomend this course to anyone who desires to be a fire fighter and make a difference in their community

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service