Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

A department in my area recently ordered and will soon be taking delivery of an engine equipped withe CAFS. A member of that department told me that the manufacturer is saying that the CAFS system will not work properly if the engine is being fed by a 5 inch line. It was stated that the 5 inch line causes to much turbulence for the CAFS to work properly. If they have an incoming supply line while using CAFS they have been advised by the manufacturer to make sure it is a 3 inch supply line or less.

Are all CAFS engines like this? May this just be specific to this manufacturer?

Views: 2130

Replies to This Discussion

Travis:

Pressure gradient - difference between intake pressure and discharge pressure.  If you are blessed with "good" hydrants like we are then it won't be much.  We have hydrants that discharge at anywhere from 60 to 100 psi and the Husky system advocates flowing CAFS at 95 psi - so this isn't enough apparently to cool off the compressor.  Therefore, the best way to create the necessary gradient or pressure difference would be to have 0 intake pressure by bringing the water through the tank.  I am not as familiar with the Husky system as I am the Hale but this was what was told to me by the factory rep when I took the Husky class.    

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service