Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

The next type of construction that we are going to talk about is Type V, or wood frame construction.  This is the most commonly used type of construction in most jurisdictions.  This type of construction is typically associated with residential occupancies, namely single-family dwellings, but many commercial buildings are now built using wood frame construction.

Years ago, wood frame meant real dimensional lumber. A 2×4 was really a two inch by four inch piece of wood.  Roof systems were stick built with rafters of dimensional lumber that were connected with a ridge beam.  We forget that this traditional type of construction is wood frame.  Balloon frame is also a type of wood frame.

We have just gotten so ingrained that wood frame mean light weight, or now commonly known as “low mass” construction.  This “low mass” construction uses engineered products that makes construction faster and cheaper to build. Although these components like engineered I-joists and roof truss systems are very strong for the engineered loads, they fail miserable during fire conditions.

We just need to remember the hazards and myths of this type of construction. One is that if one truss fails they all fail.  I like to ask the classes that I teach if any of them has seen a house constructed with wood truss systems with a part of the roof burnt off and the rest of it still intact?  The answer is always yes.

I am not saying that these truss systems are safe, quite the contrary. All I am saying is that we need to keep our firefighters educated about these systems. I know there are some chiefs and instructors upset with some of this, but we can operate on and under these roofs with some careful size-up and thoughtful tactics. One thing I have learned in the fire service; never use the words never or always.  There is always a circumstance or situation that will challenge both.

Now, characteristics about this type of construction.  There are void spaces everywhere and these components use a lot of glue to help keep them together.  These buildings are getting bigger on the residential side and this construction type is very popular for many commercial buildings like fast food joints, restaurants and strip malls.

Something we need to keep in mind also is that some of these wood frame buildings look like masonry or brick, or type 3 buildings.  These are just veneers and we need to understand the challenges dangers associated with that.  Masonry and brick veneers can easily collapse of the foundation and still kill or seriously injure firefighters.

Pay attention to your area and be familiar with the buildings you may have to operate in. Know the different characteristics of the construction types and the challenges each one poses for us operationally.

Train hard and stay safe.

Views: 383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The modern day fire ground is getting more and more dangerous. A decrease in structural mass and an increase in fire loads are creating very dangerous situations for the fire service.

Are your tactics evolving to meet the changes that we are confronting on the fire ground? 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service