Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

A lot of our members are having trouble using the standard gibbs ascenders and etier for adjusting their height while litter tending. What are your feelings on attaching the litter tender with a short haul (set of fours, jigger rig)and a secondary safety?

Views: 534

Replies to This Discussion

Someone once said: "Work smarter, not harder. A jigger, piggyback or other means of mechanical advantage is just that, an advantage. My thought on these systems is this: If they are more efficient, if they save time, if they reduce rescuer fatigue and if they are safe, why not use them. Often times the edge we are ascending or descending determines the best location for the rescuer. The right system will make switching positions (above or below the stokes basket) much easier. I would, however still attach an etier or pursell prusiks to the side of the stokes away from the rescuer if they are below the stokes so they can step down and flip the stokes AWAY from them of the patient starts vomiting (lessons learned are fantastic aren't they!
We usually carry a V-Vac in the basket to suction the airway rather than tipping the basket.
All of our members carry an aztec kit (small set of fours - 4:1) and is our standard attachment to an attended litter raise or lower. Allows us to adjust our postion with infinte detail. There is alot of industry in our response area and many times we have to lower ourselves below the litter to get through tight spots. The versatility is light years ahead of a standard etier or prussik foot loops.
I am familiar with the aztec kit but have never used it. Using a gibbs requires practice and is a bit clumsy in the beginning but it is less bulky than the aztec. Now I may be a bit prejudice since I have been using the gibbs and etrier since 85. I certainly agree that you need a means of rolling the litter, and positioning yourself to navigate terrain in or outside. I think whatever you train with and become comfortable with is your best bet. But the key is train with what you determine as YOUR best methodology and stay with it until you find something better.

Be Safe
I have to agree with Kevin, I have used the Aztek Set of Fours for a long time. I am still amazed at the the uses that we come up with on a routine basis. As far as litters go, the AZTEK can be used in several ways:

1) Tender positioning
2) Mid-Face Litter Scoop for suspended patients
3) Re-orienting Litter (Set of Fours or Purcell)
3) Edge Transition

I would encourage anyone who is not currently using a "jigger system" to study its benefit. The AZTEK is one of the most versatile tools that the rope rescue community has ever been provided with. If you have questions please go to RopesthatRescue.com or Rescueresponse.com. It is the best money I have ever spent on equipment.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service