Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I have been attending FDIC since 1998 and I must say, it's only getting better. Over the course of this week, I will be posting sketches and sharing some of what I see as the greatest gathering of Fire Service minds in the world. On a technical note: Please do not hold these sketches to the same artistic standard that I usually post. It's hard to draw, hold an espresso, shake hands, text, and eat a jelly-role at the same time:)

Seriously though, as always, I'm humbled and excited to be here - it's time to recharge my batteries.

After speaking with many of the Brothers and Sisters today, I was struck by how many of us are experiencing the same problems with budget cuts and manpower shortages. The conversation inevitably turned to layoffs, shrinking training budgets, and outdated equipment that are victims of the latest economic downturn. The overwhelming collective is when times get tough, city managers look to the fire and police divisions to make drastic cuts that literally cut to the core of safety for us and the public we protect. Unfortunately, there are no easy answers or solutions, for us or the folks dealing with mutli-million dollar (billion, in some cases) deficits. It is hard, however, not to see a target on the backs of just about every firefighter here. It's a miracle that so many found the support of their departments, or their own check-books, to attend this year's FDIC.

Views: 710

Comment

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

Comment by John K. Murphy on April 30, 2010 at 6:15pm
Every time attend my battery is recharged - so many great instructors and the networking is unreal.

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service