Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Make sure you know your apparatus.
Make sure you know your apparatus.

Here is a quick drill that you can use when the weather is bad outside or just to change things up a bit.

Number each compartment how ever you choose. You can use stick-it notes or flash cards or whatever.

Make a list of the items inside each compartment on a separate piece of paper.

(Just a note, the officer should be doing this without the crew).

Now, get your crew together and put all of the equipment labels in a bowl or box or hat or whatever you choose.  A fire helmet is easy to come by, so use that.

Have each person draw and write down on a pad of paper where he or she thinks the equipment is located.  When each person has finished, take them out to see how they did. 

Let the winner pick what your having for dinner or something like that.  Make it fun and don’t make it a punitive thing.  If you want, you could do it once a month and keep a running score.  I bet you have these guys/gals checking the truck more frequently and becoming more familiar with their equipment.

Stay safe and be careful.  Train hard and pass on what you learn.

http://firefightersenemy.com

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jason we do similar drills on both companies. Our spin is one crew goes out picks 10-12 items off the engine, the other engine crew gets to come out in the bay and put them back and visa versa! Great learning for firefighters and officers alike.

Be Safe Brother!
Jeff
Jeff,
That is great and I would really like to hear other twists and ideas about this drill.
jason
Will try this have a hard time getting members to do the truck checks i cant know all of the locations of all the equiptment.maybe i will get them to realise they dont know it all. Thanks for the tip

Kevin
Hey, something else that was suggested, is that he would pour the coffee in the morning and tape hte name of a piece of equipment on the bottom of the mug. Each guy would have to find that piece of equipment each shift day. A little different, but creative.

Kevin Matthew Curry said:
Will try this have a hard time getting members to do the truck checks i cant know all of the locations of all the equiptment.maybe i will get them to realise they dont know it all. Thanks for the tip

Kevin

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service