Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I had posted a picture and gave a scenario of a vacant building. Vacant buildings and how we approach them is a hot topic right now. We have some chiefs and firefighters arguing that we need to write-off all vacant buildings.

On the otherhand, we have firefighters and some officers that argue that we should search all buildings that are on fire because that was what we were sworn to do.  I understand both points.

While teaching this weekend this topic was brought up and the very vocal crowd, and the majority immediately said, “Let ‘em burn.”  Their setement was that we should not be entering these buildings because they are “vacant.”

I then asked the question, “Are all vacant buildings decrepit and delapidated?”  The answer is absolutely not.  Many vacant buildings are just that; not occupied.  It doesn’t mean that they are falling down and structurally unsound.

I pose this scenario.  If  a couple leaves their winter home for five months out of the year for warmer weather, is that building abandoned?  Most said , “no.”  Would the “let it burn” montra apply in that situation and why or why not?  Well, most said no it would not apply.

Listen, I am not sure why this is so difficult.  In a way I do because I understand the history of some very famous LODD that have happen in abandoned buildings.  But, at the same time, we are seeing and hearing reports of homeless and vagrants being rescued and found in these vacant buildings.

So, what do we do?  Here is what I am suggesting and you are free to disagree.  If we use the same risk management system and the risk vs. benefit anaylysis, this becomes less of an issue.  If your first arriving units are adequately trained, confident in their decision making abilities and familiar with their area, they perform like they would at any other building.

Just because a building is occupied does not make it inherently safe if it is on fire. The same is true for vacant buildings; just because it is vacant does not make inherently dangerous just because it is vacant.  It also doesn’t mean it isn’t occupied.

Do your size up, get three sides when you pull up.  Get your 360 and make an evaluation of conditions inside and those of the building.  If conditions are poor and survivability is not possible, don’t put your people at risk.

If the structure appears to be sound, the fire conditions are condusive for an aggressive search and attack, then it should be done.  The same rules apply for occupied structures.  You may take more risk for an occupied structure if you don’t konw that all occupants are out.  But, you still will measure conditions and survivability, especially if you have confirmation everyone is out.  Use the same judgment and experience with vacant buildings.

The bottom line is that properly trained firefighters and company officers will make the right decision.  IF they don’t, adequately trained and experienced chief officers need to make sure the correct decision is made and the proper battle plan is followed.

Use your head and don’t let your ego and emotions rule your actions. It could get you and your crew killed.  Take your time to call on good practices and experience to see the overall picture.

Until next time, stay safe and be careful.

http://firefightersenemy.com

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jason,
The reason that we have Firefighters dying in buildings is NOT because the building was unoccupied. They died because they were doing something that we know, with a cool head, we shouldn't be doing. Wether it was not getting a good and ongoing size-up, not understanding or disregarding the conditions inside the structure (how the fire was progressing and what that was doing to the building), running out of breathing air, and everything else that NIOSH mentions every time we get ourselves jammed up.

I would have absolutely no problem going into an unoccupied structure IF I know (or have a real good idea) where the fire is, how long it's been going, IE. not long, and that I have enough tools and talent there or immediately arriving to take it. I also hope (and hope that it never happens to me) that I would look at the structure with fire pouring out of every door and window and tell my people that we are not going in even if the Mom is screaming on the front lawn. She is my cross to carry, not theirs. The situations that are in between those two are where training and experience will guide you.

We have many duties that we are obligated to carry out. I don't believe that dying is one of them.

Yet another good post,
Larry
Jason, I agree with Larry on this one. A structure fire has many specic things that are required, both from an officer and a firefighter's standpoint. My opinion is simple, we as firefighters search every structure fire we go to, however, it is up to the CO and Chief's when we search! This all comes back to TRAINING! Know your area, TRAIN everyday!

Be Safe!
Jeff
Jeff,
I agree as well and that was the point I was trying to make. There is no reason to say that just because a building is vacant that it doesn't get searched or entered, If we, like both of you say, train and are properly prepared, we evaluate the risks like on any other fire and respond accordingly.
It was interesting because I have heard and read opinions that say if it is vacant we just let it burn. I think that is irresponsible and not practical.
It boils down to having good training, good leaders and employing appropriate tactics. Use the risk management model for structure fires and make good, smart decisions on these vacant/unoccupied buildings just like you would on any other fire and things should go well and the tactical objective should be met.

Jeff Schwering said:
Jason, I agree with Larry on this one. A structure fire has many specic things that are required, both from an officer and a firefighter's standpoint. My opinion is simple, we as firefighters search every structure fire we go to, however, it is up to the CO and Chief's when we search! This all comes back to TRAINING! Know your area, TRAIN everyday!

Be Safe!
Jeff

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service