Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Looking for info on any studies done on raised roof apparatus.

Does anyone know of any studies recently completed on the pros / cons of the raised roof cab. While out at Pierce last week, most of the apparatus being pushed off of the line were of the raised roof design. I'm curious what is causing this push and why some departments are still ordering the standard cab configuration.

Thanks

Views: 274

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Russ,

I worked as an engineer for Sutphen. I saw many raised roofs, around 80% of the time. The area usually had a shelf mounted for light equipment, light chargers, and ems supplies. The manufacturer's ability to build these cabs, coupled with departments needs to carry more equipment seemed to drive the changes. Headroom was a factor some of the time. If a department stayed with a flat roof, it was for money, or to enable the master stream device or boom greater clearance over the cab.

hope this helps

Zach
Most truck committees that I have been on have gone with raised roofs for head room. With many manufacturers there is no longer a cost difference. The last committee that I served on went with a flat roof. This was because we were purchasing a midmount tower and wanted a lower operating angle over the cab.
The big advantage is head room which helps in exiting the cab more safely. The driving force in split tilt cabs and flat cabs has been the height of the apparatus bay and the doorway. Many departments have to settle for a flat roof because their station was designed for horse drawn apparatus. Many have gone to a split tilt which allows for a raised roof in some stations so they can raise/tilt the cab for service w/o hitting the ceiling. Just found this and I am a little late.
Russ;

You should re-post this in the group Apparatus Specifications and Purchasing

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service