Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Before we step on the grounds of a HazMat spill we need to evaluate. Evaluate what effects the product has done or will do to people, property and the environment. As a group what is the worse product release that you have been on that has affected one or all three of these? Tell the story, share pictures!

Todd

Views: 84

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Todd,

My worst nightmare ever was a call for a "leaking vessel". Normally, leaking vessels often are a drugs dump on the side of some lonely road or a small can of some household stuff in a home or barn. When I called the alarm center and asked what the vessel contained, I was told : 36 million liters of benzine. I could not believe what I heard: that was not a leaking vessel but a large leaking fuel storage tank! It turned out that one of the pontoons under the floating roof had started to leak. This made the roof sink so far, that the drain opening on the roof got under the benzine level - and started moving the benzine into the tank pit, that only had a dirt floor but never the less already contained a lot of liquid above that what had already sunk in the soil. As land is very expensive in our small country, the distance between the tanks is the minimum that is required - according to my common sense basically much too close together. The weather forcast was a thunder storm and we had a whole open tank and tank pit with quickly evaporating, very flammable fuel. As an extra problem, it turned out that the main foam monitor did not work and there was not enough foam in case of a fire. It took us 5 days to get rid of the direct danger by pumping the fuel out of the tank (ever heard a roof scratch and squeek along the tank wall while it slowly sinks? Getting sweat crawl along your spine with the thought of some friction spark or heat and the results that could lead to? I never hope to get such a call again - and ever since, I distrust "leaking vessel" calls.
Thank you JETTY!

What was the intial call for trucks? How many engines, ladders and so on?

Jetty Middelkoop said:
Hi Todd,

My worst nightmare ever was a call for a "leaking vessel". Normally, leaking vessels often are a drugs dump on the side of some lonely road or a small can of some household stuff in a home or barn. When I called the alarm center and asked what the vessel contained, I was told : 36 million liters of benzine. I could not believe what I heard: that was not a leaking vessel but a large leaking fuel storage tank! It turned out that one of the pontoons under the floating roof had started to leak. This made the roof sink so far, that the drain opening on the roof got under the benzine level - and started moving the benzine into the tank pit, that only had a dirt floor but never the less already contained a lot of liquid above that what had already sunk in the soil. As land is very expensive in our small country, the distance between the tanks is the minimum that is required - according to my common sense basically much too close together. The weather forcast was a thunder storm and we had a whole open tank and tank pit with quickly evaporating, very flammable fuel. As an extra problem, it turned out that the main foam monitor did not work and there was not enough foam in case of a fire. It took us 5 days to get rid of the direct danger by pumping the fuel out of the tank (ever heard a roof scratch and squeek along the tank wall while it slowly sinks? Getting sweat crawl along your spine with the thought of some friction spark or heat and the results that could lead to? I never hope to get such a call again - and ever since, I distrust "leaking vessel" calls.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service