Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Here are some pictures of a commercial structure, it has since been demolished. It is interesting to note the girders and beams are wooden and started to fail over the years this was the construction method. It is multiple 2x8's attached to simulate heavy timber dimensions. Steel rods are attached at the ends of the beam/girderand travel to the opposite end. Steel has been placed uder the beam/girder to act as a tensioner. Looking closely at the wooden portion you can see the compressive load has attepted to lengthen the wooden beam/girder (take the pitch out of the roof). With the steel tensioner in place the, beam/girder couldn't lengthen and became "S" shaped.

This next picture shows the steel tensioners probably better than I explained it.

This next picture is in the basement of the structure, wooden columns were removed as they rotted out and were replaced with steel columns. Steel I beams were also installed to support the wooden beams in the existing floor.

Finally this is a scary photograph. Looking at the window you see a steel post supporting a wooden lintel in the wall. Look out the window and you see concrete blocks, a wall was built on the outside of the structure as the origional wall deteriorated. Then the new wall was covered with steel siding.

You are welcome to make any comments on the photographs. The building housed many things over the years. It started as a automobile dealership and ended as a sanitary supply company. It has been demolished. I found it while I was, to quote Mr. Brannigan, "undressing the building".
Jay

Views: 521

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder if those beam "tensioners" were part of the original building. They look like they could have been added to counter sagging floors due to heavier live loads than the building was designed to accomodate. Could some of the steel columns in the basement have been added for the same reason?
Greg,
I believe it was constructed this way. The picture below is a better shot at the ends of the tensioner. If it was done later,
I can't imagine how. Just the close proximity of the other structure members suggests it was original. I do believe some of the columns were added for load. Part of the floor was concrete while it was an auto dealership then the concrete increased to house the trucks when it was a sanitary supply company.

Just think of how this structure would behave in a fire. Structural members under tension are effected by heat first. The heat release rate for these wooden members would be very high. The tensioners are under an extreme load, the heat would cause failure very rapidly.
Jay

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service