Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Does anyone have any information or experience with these types of intersections? These are very rare (only a half dozen or so in the country) and I would like to learn from others prior to ours opening up.

Views: 196

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you talking about round abouts? We have one in a city by ours and I see no problem with it. It's in Bettendorf, Iowa. I people that aren't familiar with how it works get confused with it but I don't think they have had an abundance of accidnets at it.
if you got ABMB Engineers INC you can see examples of what I'am talking about

Douglas DuBree said:
Are you talking about round abouts? We have one in a city by ours and I see no problem with it. It's in Bettendorf, Iowa. I people that aren't familiar with how it works get confused with it but I don't think they have had an abundance of accidnets at it.
These type intersections have been around for a long time. More towns are using them to improve traffic flow. I believe the research indicates fewer accidents and the accidents that do occur are at a much lower speed, thus less physical injury and property damage.
What happens when a Ladder gets into one?
We have a few of these intersections in the Salt Lake Area. I have noticed no problem with any of our equipment moving through the round about. It does keep the flow going and posses no additional safety concerns just increased awareness when moving into the lane. "Big Ben Parliament."
That is one of the most screwed-up looking intersections I have ever seen. I live on Cape Cod and am plauged by rotories (roundabouts). no one would confusr the 2 if they went to the web site you noted.
I'm sure this configuration would ease congestion when the signals were working. Once the power goes out or the controller gets a mind of it's own there would be mayhem. imagine flashing red and yellow at rush hour. With such precise timing how badly would an "opticom" or other demand devise mess up the flow. I don't know of a set of lights I have ever encountered on a regular basis that didn't screw up once in a while.
I used to drive 60,000 miles a year covering the east half of the country from Salt Lake City, with the exception of traffic in Indiana and maybe Wyoming, I don't think anyone has the common sense to get out of the way of an Emergency Vehicle. This intersection when working properly should be just as troubling as any other, always expect the worst and drive as if your life depends on it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service