Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Does anyone's department or academy teach this? I know I was taught how to do it about 9 years ago when I was in the academy.

Set aside that it's not considered safe and all that other stuff.

I got into an arguement in another group I belong to about this with a bunch of 20 year olds that said that it isn't possible. Of course I know that's not the case. How about you guys?

Views: 352

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In Denver we are taught to deploy single firefighter 24' extension ladders and it is a requirement for graduation from academy, but not 35's. We do have a Lt. who teaches the ladder class who demonstrates a single firefighter 35 but he is an incredibly strong guy. While most of it is technique, you still need the strength to go with it.
You can plant it against a wall and grunt it up, but why would you? It sure didn't get there with one person,
Where Is MY CREW!!
I have seen it done. I don't think that it would be advisable to make it an SOG. As stated before it takes a big strong person (even with good form). And once at full extinction, I bet it is kinda hairy.....

I think it it inviting injury.
It is inviting injury but that's not what I was asking.

I was taught it as more of a confidence evolution.

It is a ball buster.

I wouldn't be too happy doing it now.

We still do cathedral raises in our JPRs and I think it can be more dangerous than a single 35' raise. I have done it, only twice, and certainly don't consider myself incredibly strong. Once was in the academy and the other was when on probation at my department. The last time was about 7 years ago, I was 23 and dumb enough to feel tough about it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service