Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Brothers and Sisters,
Posted on the Brotherhood Instructor LLC web page is an article about Forcible Entry Operations for Zero/Limited Visibility Situations that Nate DeMarse and myself wrote. Please read it ( http://brotherhoodinstructors.com/wordpress/?p=105 ) and feel free to leave a comment and/or start a discussion on this forum about how to force entry in zero/limited visibility conditions.

Stay Safe,
Andrew Brassard

Views: 252

Replies to This Discussion

I read your article and got some good info from it. My thoughts are, that firefighters should get out there and know their buildings! Pre-plan as often as you can. So when a situation arises that you have limited visibility, you at least are oriented. Know the construction type, types of locks you are likely to find. Take a trip to the local hardware stores and home centers within your immediate area as well as mutual aide areas. See what types of locks are being sold.(these are readily available to homeowners and business owners) i.e.- Key in Knob, Add-ons, padlocks, deadbolts, etc.! In my area the two most common residential locks being sold are Schlage and kwickset key in knob with 1 inch tubular deadbolts. Add-ons are the typical rim locks with night latch. In the older sections of the neighborhood, there are still mortise locks being used. Almost all store fronts have narrow stile alluminum frame doors with Adams rite hardware, some with mortise locks. Stripmall steel rear doors have panic hardware usually, some fire bars! Haven't run into any police bars. Padlocks being sold in almost all of the home centers and hardware stores are Master Lock. Not too many American locks being sold here. every once in a while a 700, 1100 or 2000 series American pops up. Almost all self storage units have Hockeypuck locks. So, I guess if you see what you are getting into before you can't see it, you have a fighting chance. Door hardware is usually mounted between 32" and 41", (about the length of the halligan plus another forks on top)The squared shoulders on the halligan are great for controling your swing, (riding along the shaft)! Venture to the local locksmiths and see what types they are getting calls for! As for taking hinges, always start at the top to allow the smoke and superheated gases to rise away from you as you work your way down. And lastly maintain control of the door....if you can't see, at least you have some protection once you've breached the opening.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service