Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

It has been some time sense I have posted anything on any of the sites that I write on. I have been in what some would call a slump, never knowing what to write about, never having the motivation to sit down and think myself through what I am feeling at the moment or the big concerns I have in the fire service.  After taking a few “good” calls and realizing that the men and women I work with generally have a great outlook on the job at hand, I have realized that maybe something motivational might be necessary just simply do to the fact that I myself needed it.  

DO WORK is something that you’ll here often when we arrive to a working incident, those two words sum up what I expect out of my men and what there assignment normally is. When you arrive at a scene be mentally and physically prepared to do work. Regardless if it is a medic call, bad a** working fire, or an auto accident, the person you called expects for someone to show up and give it their absolute all to solve the problem they called YOU for. Think of a call as someone personally calling your phone and asking you to come help them. Take it to heart and realize that though it might be 0230 in the morning and you want to sleep, someone thought so highly of YOU and YOUR abilities that they called and asked for your help to solve a problem they could not. Don’t let them down.

Always be prepared, work with your men, whether it is a paid or volunteer setting, know that when you say a simple phrase that the men you work with are going to jump into action and solve the problem you are facing. Always be prepared to do work, ready yourself for the battle you are about to enter into. Know your job, your men, your people, and YOUR JOB. A good way to determine how you are doing as a member and as a department is this. When someone asks you about the department, if you can’t say “I work for the most bad a** department in the county” and mean it, you’ve got work to do. Take this as a challenge to better improve the service you give to these communities that so graciously keep our doors open. Be awesome, always assure you and your department are leaning further towards that line of accomplishment and not failure. Take a moment everyday and think of something to say, write, or do, that is going to make your department better.

In the end my biggest point that I am trying to make is that many have become bitter towards the job. Whether it’s because of the new generation, old generation, city, boards, what have you, its time to move past that. If your company is flawed so is your ability to do work. Be a badass, do your job and be great at it. That’s all anyone asks. DO WORK!

Views: 30

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service