Title/rank:
Fire Captain
Years of public service:
Agency structure:
Paid fire department
Top issues in your department:
staffing, training (company and chief ranks), communications, morale
Professional Qualifications:
FF I/II, Fire Officer I/II, Fire Inspector I/II, Fire Instructor I, Fire Safety Officer I
Topics you provide training for:
recruit, flammable gas, technical rescue, flashover, structural firefighting, RIT
Bio:
EMT 1991 - present, Firefighter 1994 - 2005, Fire Captain 2005 - present, Massachusetts Firefighting Academy Instructor 1999- present

Comment Wall:

• Eric J. Christopher

C2 snapped that photo without me knowing after a first due all hands at Comm ave@Alpine Ct..
  • Barry Aptt

That the one you and Johnboy hit with the water can?
  • Steve Corbett

Yea but I never got my head rubbed with hair!!!!!
  • John O'Donoghue

Hi Barry;
    Reviewing your Phase I and Phase II operatons in your existing buildings is an excellent way to get the members used to the systems. As for actual hands-on with an elevator, you have to have a licensed elevator mechanic with you in order to open an elevator hoistway. That may sound bad, but it assures safety. Find out if any elevator companies are doing any work in the city, and seek out the Service Manager. They will be your key to getting more information, and further access to the systems. Reassure them that you are not looking for shortcuts, but want to perfect safe operations. That is always their big concern. Always feel free to email me any questions and I will try to answer it for you.

Stay safe.
  • Mike Moriarty

Hi Barry
    This is a good site with lots of info See you at m.f.a.
  • Ed Morrissey

Im going to use my high school photo like Corbett
  • Mark Gregory

hey Barry, what are we discussing, position tools or personal tools in your pockets. Give me a direction to go with this discussion
  • Mark Gregory

It will be great to meet up with you. Jim Sandas will be lecturing also. We just did the RIT class in North Attleboro and it went pretty good...
  • Barry Aptt

We don't hear about some of this training in my neck of the woods must of been a closed or municipal hire type thing
  • Bob Foley

Thanks Barry
    Anything you have to offer please let us know, we have some good ideas but are always open for more
  • Tony Tricarico

Thank you Barry, I appreciate it.
  • Sandy Lasa

I'll be as gentle as I know how. What ever that means
  • Bob Foley

Hi Barry,
    It should be good. Alot of work by good guys. I am looking forward to it myself
  • Jim Puleo

Hey Barry
    Good fire 2.5 sty wood framed old farm house. Fire started on the b side wrap around farmers porch from ashes, into the porch ceiling wrapped the house. The original rafters poked through the siding and were attached to the frame of the house, they cut the original rafters out when they installed the new roof over the porch but did not cover the holes, so when the fire entered the ceiling of the porch it also entered EVERY bay on the left and front of the house. Two alarms later here we come!! Good fight and I have a ton of great pics
  • Andrew Brassard

Hey brother,

Thanks for the post on my page!

Talk to you soon, Stay Safe

Andrew
  • Rusty Ricker

Not AFD, still lowly there, Captain in Hooterville (GTFD).
  • Mark Gregory

Hey Barry, most Tech Rescue Disciplines are either 40 or 80 hr programs. Refreshers and Annual Education are scheduled throughout the year to keep guys up to date...
  • Curt Varone

Hi Barry

Thanks for the kind words. I did retire from Providence, and am now with the NFPA as Director of Public Fire Protections. I'll still be around presenting here and there.

Stay safe

Curt
  • Tony Tricarico

Thanks Barry, I always appreciate the comments. Stay low Brother
  • Peter F. Kertzie

Are you kidding? I never shut up about the saws... Get out and use them, That is the best thing to do. Take them apart and put them back together. Read and follow the owners manual. Etc...

I wrote a couple things about the chainsaws, but Hands-on is the best. Send me your E-mail and I'll send you a copy of what I have on the subject.

Get something good to cut up and I'll come over.
  • Tim Zehnder

Barry saw your post to Mark about RIT, what are you looking for and if your interested I would be willing to be of assistance. Stay Safe Brother
  • Tim Zehnder

Ya, meet Dave a few years ago when we had him in Worecester at the training that they held. We then had him and a bunch of guys here teaching. Great guy, great friend. Were are you located? Stay Safe
  • Sandy Lasa

Barry,
    No. I was off that day. Not the ideal approach but it all worked out.
  • Peter F. Kertzie

Thanks for your comments. This sucks, but having all of the support helps.
  • Andrew Brassard

Barry,
    Ya I was sorry I was unable to attend, don't pick my brain too hard... there is hardly any left!!!! LOL

Stay Safe Brother,
    Andrew
  • Barry Galvin

Don't worry, Eric will get over it. I'll take him out on another date.
  • Jim Puleo

Hi Barry,

I don't check this often but good to here from you will see you at MFA

Jim