Lt
Years of public service:
27 years
Agency structure:
Paid fire department
Top issues in your department:
Budget
Professional Qualifications:
SME Emergency Vehicle Operations, Apparatus Specifications and Aerial Ladder Training
Topics you provide training for:
Apparatus Specifications
Emergency Vehicle Driver Training
Aerial Ladder and Tower Ladder Operations and Placement
Areas of expertise:
SME Emergency Vehicle Operations, Apparatus Specifications and Aerial Ladder Training
Bio:
BIO
MICHAEL WILBUR
121 WHITLOCK ROAD
OTISVILLE, NEW YORK 10963
845-386-5057

Mike Wilbur has been a volunteer firefighter for over 34 years and a career firefighter with the New York City Fire Department for 27 years. In the New York City Fire Department Mike was assigned to Ladder Company 56 for 15 years 8 as an apparatus operator and in 1995 was promoted to the rank of Lt. and is presently assigned to Ladder Company 27 in the Bronx. Lt. Wilbur also served on the FDNY apparatus purchasing committee, and has given state certification to the FDNY chauffeurs school.
Mike is also a contributing editor for Firehouse Magazine and Fire Apparatus Journal. He has also served on the IFSTA validation committees for the Apparatus Operator and Aerial Operator Manuals. Mike has served on the United States Fire Administration committee’s on Safe Operation of Fire Tankers and Emergency Vehicle Safety Initiative.
Lt. Wilbur is nationally recognized in Emergency Vehicle Operations, Apparatus Placement and Purchasing. For more information go to
Web site:
http://www.emergencyvehicleresponse.com

Comment Wall:

Load Previous Comments
  • James H. Guy

Just had a facebook exchange with Tony Correia regarding seatbelts in apparatus, and I understand that you are working on this important issue with NIOSH.  My concern is not that firefighters should accept anything but full compliance with their use, but that under certain conditions buckleing-up is extremely difficult if not impossible.  In particular, apparatus cabs designed with four crew seats abreast of each other, makes simply finding room to sit difficult enough.  Apparatus cabs housing a top mounted pump panel is where this problem is most prevalent.  Committees want it all, a top mounted enclosed pump panel and 4 riding positions for crew members.   Going back to side mounted pump panels not considered to be an option, despite the fact that this arrangement would free-up space in the cab for functional/safe seating.  What are your thoughts about perhaps a manufacture's standard requiring a minimum cubic inch requirement for each crew member as a way of increasing the functionality of seat belt use?

• James H. Guy

Thank you Mike that's good news.  

• Tiger Schmittendorf

Mike - Here's the poster I created that prompted the exchange between Jim Guy and Tony Correia.

Let me know what you think.

Stay safe. Train often.