Fire Law Forum with Legal Experts

This group is dedicated to giving general answers to your legal questions. The forum is hosted by experts in fire service law throughout the nation. Attorneys will respond to issues posted on this site.
Load Previous Comments
  • Ted R. Kolb

Our department operates under the following:

Membership in this corporation shall be governed by NYS Article 14 Special Not-for-Profit Corporations Section 1402 (b) (3) Fire corporations.

Eligible persons may be elected as members pursuant to the by-laws of the fire corporation, but the election of a member must be approved by the town board of each town which consented to the formation of the fire corporation.  Such a person shall be a resident of the territory specified in the certificate of incorporation or of territory outside such boundaries which is afforded fire protection by the fire corporation etc.

My question:

Can a volunteer fire department in the State of NY set a distance in their by laws outside of the above statement?  

Example: Residents can be recruited from a 1 mile buffer zone outside of the territory specified in the certificate of incorporation.

If this is not legal what are the ramifications?

• Ted R. Kolb

I have a question about where FD members may live with respect to the fire district lines.

Our depart. is in NYS & 100% vol. a 501 c 3 corporation.  The by-law statement reads, “The applicant must be a resident in the Chili Fire Protection District or live within a reasonable distance thereof where this Corporation is primarily empowered to operate.”

The question is what is a reasonable distance thereof and is this even a correct legal statement?  Some members seem to think that 3 or 4 miles outside of the Fire District is acceptable.

Thanks,

Ted R. Kolb

• Ted Wolford

I have a question about by laws. Four years ago I moved withing my township that has four volunteer fire departments. When doing this I tried to transfer rather then resign and join another department. I was told by both fire chiefs that the bylaws did not outline this so it would not be possible. 

I just read in the bylaws  of the department I went to that members can transfer to other departments inside the township. 

With this being written should they also have it written the other way for a process to receive a transfer from the other departments in the township?