Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Does anyone know why when figuring friction loss in wyed lines (all wyes equal) you only figure for one of the wyed lines? I get asked this all the time and have not been able to find the reasoning.

Thanks

Views: 4505

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi

It's more difficult to explain than to demonstrate with inline pressure gauges, and I hope my attempt at an explanation helps answer your question.  After the line is wyed, the two lines are running in parallel, therefore you can't add the two pressure losses together.  So, if you have a single line divided by a wye and supplying two lines (with equal nozzles), you could think of the wye outlets like pump outlets.  The pressure at each pump outlet will be the same as the main pump pressure; and as such the pressure at the wye outlets will supply each line at the same pressure.  The friction loss factors then apply to each line separately and is calculated from the pressure at the wye, because this will be the same down both lines.  So if the pressure loss through each hose line is 50psi (same nozzles and line size/length), then the pressure at the wye needs to be 50psi more than required at the nozzle.  If it was 100psi more each outlet of the wye would be 100psi more, and hence each line would also be 100psi more.  But, the flow rate to the wye will be the total required for both lines before it divides.  

The thing I find most misunderstood is that the single line supplying the wye is subject to friction loss based on the combined flow of each nozzle operating from the wye.  So, if you have two 125gpm nozzles coming from the wye, the line supplying the wye has the friction loss calculated on a flow rate of 250gpm, which will be 4 x more than 125gpm. 

Just reading this back to myself, and it looks terribly confusing.  To demonstrate the reasons why and how this works using inline pressure and flow gauges is the best way to get the head around it.  I really hope I've helped in some small way, but I'm not holding my breath.

Regards

Mike D

Thank you Mike,

Great explaination. I may do a training using pressure gauges, I hadn't thought about that.

Thanks Again

Bob Shovald

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service