Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Fit testing is required for all interior FF.  My question is does each members personal mask need to be fit tested or can the members be fit tested on test masks (different sizes)  and then be provided with a new mask when it comes in?

I cannot find anything that tells me that each mask issued to a specific FF needs to be fit tested to that FF.  I would think that this is the case but my department has a different opinion.

We are in the process of purchasing new Scott air packs and masks.  We have 3 test masks small, medium and large.  All interior FF are being fit tested with one of these masks.  After fit testing is completed the correct size masks will be ordered for all FF and issued to them.

Should we not be testing the mask the FF will be operating with?

Views: 778

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ted, I have always used the standard large medium small samples to test then provided the members with their personal one for use. It is how we conduct the testing at FDIC also. I would perfer to have the individual masks but it is not required to the best of my knowledge.

Bobby,  your answer is most likely correct.  I did find a reference to the 3 sizes from a fit testing group.

It just seems rational to me to test the individual mask the FF will be operating with.  Manufacturing errors do crop up in many products we us.  I guess we just have to get through the first year with the new masks and then yearly fit testing will start.

When we do yearly fit testing the FF’s personal mask is used.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service