Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller...?  Oh, we've all sat through this class, haven't we?! A class where the instructor reads each word from the never-ending source of dull PowerPoint slides with all the excitement of Ben Stein's character in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I feel inspired just thinking about it!

I have often said there are two types of instructors - those who are inspired to teach, and those who have a certificate to teach. The individuals who have the passion to share their knowledge will study their craft, practice presenting their material in an inspiring way and rely more on their knowledge of the subject than the use of presentations as a crutch! After all, if you don't know your subject well enough to teach it without the aid of prompts, should you be teaching it at all?!

I have been an instructor for the better part of ten years and still learning the art of teaching. I'm not perfect, but I try to improve before, during, and after every class I teach. And coming from someone with the attention span of a gnat, I want to teach a class that I would sit through – and learn.

The building of future firefighters is literally in your hands - it is your RESPONSIBILITY to deliver your subject matter in an exciting and comprehensive way. If not, then I’m sure there’s a high school economics class just begging for your communication skills!

Click link below to see more of Paul's work or to order prints:
http://www.artstudioseven.com/page-LE_Prints.htm

Views: 5489

Comment

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

Comment by Paul Combs on February 7, 2013 at 9:56am

Thanks to all who commented and shared the message! And thank you, Chief Halton, for giving me a platform to state my opinion and, hopefully, make a difference!

Comment by Michael Ward on January 27, 2013 at 3:41pm

Oh My Gosh!

PERFECT TIMING as I work on a presentation ... inspiration appreciated!

Mike

Comment by Fire Chief Billy Greenwood on January 27, 2013 at 12:31pm

Paul excellent topic my friend!  I often say that the fire service has become so dynamic (diverse) in our response and mitigation, that any single instructor for which tries to deliver all of the "subjects" cannot provide mastery of any of them. Thus "the crutch" factor you speak of becomes relevant.  Great Post. See you in Indy! Billy

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service