Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

This post comes on the heels of some discussion and training scenarios that we had at work. We have had the lapel microphones for our radios for a few years now, but it was a bit of a joke. Depending on who you relieved in the morning depended on whether the lapel mic was on that particular radio or not.

I had some Captains that hated them and would take them off as soon as they got on the truck and others did the exact opposite. Which, in turn happened with everyone else on the truck and we lost mics and so on an so on.

I personally like the lapel mics for the simple reason that you can get to it and get your “voice” closer to the mic when geared up and on air. Once you place your radio in a pocket and put your SCBA on, it can be almost impossible to get it out and talk on it.

Of course the argument from our dissenters is that the mic cord gets tangled up and it is a pain in the butt when you don’t need it. It is also difficult to re-clip the mic onto your coat or SCBA with gloves on.

I maintain that you have a better chance getting to the mic if you get into trouble as compared to the radio in a pocket.

What is the rest of the country and world doing?

Let us know your opinions and experiences.

Stay safe and thanks for reading.

Views: 1687

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Remember......

If your SCBA mask has a voice amp, be sure to have the mic on the same side. Makes it easier. I'm back at work this Monday, I'll post a pic then.
Greg
Hi Dave,

Yeah, I read that too. But, after several attempts I found it easier and sounding better on the voice amp side. Maybe I should have stated, "try both sides and do what works better for you"!

So, either way you choose, as with everything else, train first and apply later!

Be safe brother!
Greg
Dave,

We use MSA packs with the voice amp on the left side of the mask, with the HUD on the other. We have Motorola, 900 mhz radios. Mics are an option, probably used by 50% of the department.

This is a good topic of discussion, but as with almost everything else, there are several ways to accomplish the same goal. Many are right and some are wrong. Thanks for the input.

FTM~KTF

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service