Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

When I finished Firefighter I, I thought I knew it all.  After all, I had been around firehouses since I was a kid.  I was a fire explorer and I lived and breathed the fire service.

I continued on with classes.  At that time it was more to pad my resume than “really” learn stuff.  Not to say I didn’t learn new things, but I thought I knew everything I needed to know.

Sadly in retrospect, this continued for quite a few years.  I am not sure if it was my age or period in my life; but I didn’t REALIZE that I was missing knowledge.

My career kept on progressing.  I was promoted to lieutenant.  I wasn’t arrogant; at least I tried not to portray that image.  I just thought I knew everything needed to know about my job.

I can’t place an exact time when it occurred.........but a switch turned on.  I realized there was A LOT I didn’t know.

I can’t tell you how quickly my perspective changed.  I couldn’t learn enough, fast enough.  I suddenly realized there WAS so much to learn.  I finally realized I knew what I didn’t know!

I’ve always lived my life without regret, well most of the time.  I looked back on all the hours spent in a recliner, watching mindless television.  God, I could have spent that time better.

I could have been reading every fire magazine, been drilling myself to be better and reading some great fire service “bibles.”

I am fortunate that I came to this realization.  I have worked with guys who have lived an entire career without realizing this.  I am saddened it took me a good part of my shortened career to realize it; but then I wound’s appreciate it like I do now.

To some of you reading this, I might look like a complete idiot.  For some of you, you might have gone through this same phase.  For others, I hope this is a wakeup call.

Stay thirsty for education, challenge yourself to be better than you were yesterday and don’t lose the spark.  The day you get complacent, is the day you should fill out your retirement papers

My time of “knowing what I didn’t’ know” was so much more fulfilling than the time when I though t I knew it all. 

Views: 501

Comment

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service