Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

FEBRUARY MAGAZINE CARTOON: Back To Basics

When the zero visibility crap hits the hot and smokey fan, it's your training that makes all the difference between life and death, success and failure. Technology is great, but there is NO substitute for knowing the basics in any fire service discipline, strategy, or skill. Train, train, train, and then train some more!!!

Views: 2485

Comment

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

Comment by Art "Chief Reason" Goodrich on February 17, 2012 at 1:58pm

For a minute there, I thought I could see the outlines of brightly-colored safety vests.

Either that or someone is wearing a disco chain around their neck.

Firemanship is what you use when you find yourself up Sh** Creek!

Comment by Michael Ward on February 15, 2012 at 7:10am

Excellent cartoon!

Comment by Paul Combs on February 14, 2012 at 7:05pm

"Firemanship"... love that!

Comment by Larrence McCormack on February 14, 2012 at 6:45pm

Technology=progression??? Not always. Because of TIC cameras, basic search skills are significantly diminished. The same can be said about forcible entry. Because of rabbet tools and hydra-rams, forcing doors with "Da Irons" is significanty diminished. We are getting further and further away from basic Firemanship. These tools most certainly have applications and make our jobs alot easier, but, they can fail you and your company, and more importantly the people that we are sworn to protect. . Keep your skills sharp and revisit the basics. Be safe and wear your waist straps.  

Comment by Mike France on February 14, 2012 at 5:14pm

Paul could i use this for a Drill that I'm presenting next week to the Department

Comment by John K. Murphy on February 14, 2012 at 4:59pm

Smokey, hot and can't see sh***. When does training kick in?

Comment by Paul Combs on February 14, 2012 at 4:22pm

Thanks, Chief(s) - I was guilty of this myself about nine years ago. My partner and I rushed into a downtown nightclub fire that I was totally unfamiliar with. The TIC stopped working about 30 ft in and I was literally blind in dense black smoke with heat pushing down on us. I vowed that day that I would never take my training for granted and NEVER get caught in a situation like that again. Years later that same partner and I saved a woman in a structure fire using nothing but instincts and techniques learned during countless hours of training and teaching. Technology is great - but use it for the (breakable) tool that it is and not a substitute for basic knowledge and practice.

Comment by Ron Ayotte on February 14, 2012 at 4:08pm

As usual... a balls on accurate commentary!

Comment by Paul Combs on February 14, 2012 at 4:00pm

Creative Note: This may have been the easiest cartoon I've ever drawn! Not to mention that this is why Hollywood will never be able to film a realistic firefighter movie. It's hard to sell box office tickets when you can't see the star's face. Just say'n...

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service