Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Jim Mason's Comments

Comment Wall (122 comments)

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

At 10:22am on February 1, 2009, John Ortlund said…
Jim,
I am a Lt. with Park Ridge FD on your north border. I am writing a company officer development program for my masters program and look to inplement it at my dept. Does Chicago have a company officer development program? Can I look at a copy if you have one. Do you have information about any other departments officer programs. I appreciate your input. Be safe. John Ortlund, jortlund113@comcast.net
At 1:21pm on January 30, 2009, Mark Langston said…
You asked about officer development also, Well we dont really do much of that. We have started to do officer training every month. Something that the officer has to turn in. It is so-so. But other than that not much really. And for ff's becoming officer they just ride in the seat for awhile before they get promoted. We do not have much as far as formalized officer development.
At 12:06pm on January 30, 2009, Mark Langston said…
Jim,

We get usually 15-20 on a first alarm (well 16 if you count the chief). We used to have 2 engines, 2 trucks and the squad. All usually with 3 on each rig so it is typically closer to 15 than 20. We just changed our responses and shuttered our squad and going to 2 trucks instead of 3 trucks in the city. Now we get 4 engines and 1 truck on a first alarm. Same amount of personnel.
At 8:38am on January 29, 2009, Nate Patton said…
Jim, Jerry is from Rockland Co In New York. He has written articles for Fire Engineering. He helps with the engine company class at FDIC streatching attack lines. Very good class.
At 10:23am on January 25, 2009, Nate Patton said…
Sorry that is 40 miles west of Indy.
At 10:22am on January 25, 2009, Nate Patton said…
Jim, Crawfordsville is a small career department about 40 west of Indy. On or 1st due we will get 2 engines, 1 ladder and a medic. Also I will be at FDIC, for the last 3 years I have been helping instruct a portion of the Engine company class with Jay Comella and Jerry Knapp. I hope to meet up with everyone during FDIC do you have a certain place in mind? Anyway i look forward in picking your brain.
Stay Low
Nate
At 6:50pm on January 21, 2009, Jason Ryan said…
Sounds good hopefully i will be able to make it.
At 4:51pm on January 20, 2009, Michael Bricault (ret) said…
Hi Jim, just added a blog to my page called Residential Search; Complacency and Priorities. Give it a look and let me know what you think.
At 11:18am on January 20, 2009, Joe Hall said…
Yes I started on Peotone 13 years ago asd still moonlight their as a Lt. I've been on Bedford since 01. Jim Wilk turned me on to your group. You may know my Uncle Tom Sutkus Capt. on T-32.
At 12:35pm on January 19, 2009, Jeremy Wilson said…
Jim,
Little Elm if about 40 miles north of Dallas, Texas. We are a 2 station department with 10 paid per shift and 4 volunteers that alternate every six days. Our challange is not that we are combition but that we have minimal staffing. On first alarm (if at full staffing) we send 2 medics, 75' ariel, 1 engine and on duty chief. We have mutual aid agreement with all surrounding department and will received 2-3 additional engine on a confirmed fire. Our challenge is that for the first 6 to 12 minutes of the fire our department is on our own. We've cut down some response times with automatic aid agreements but still is an issue for us.
At 11:10am on January 17, 2009, Chuck French said…
Thanks Jim.
At 9:02am on January 14, 2009, Matt Erdman said…
Hey Jim, are there some recent photos of you on Tim Olk's fireground photo website? Sure looks like you!

http://www.olkee.smugmug.com/
At 4:00pm on January 12, 2009, Mike Walker said…
High Rises in Chicago? No Way!

Actually, we modeled our High Rise SOP closely from Chicago's. We're in the middle of training the department now.
At 1:11pm on January 12, 2009, L. Chapel said…
Jim,

If you’re referring to the number of working fires we get; the amount of fires we get as a department and specifically as a crew, varies greatly of course depending on the location and demographics.

We have twenty stations with over 400 firefighters serving a population of over 400,000. Being of medium size and not a major metropolitan city I suppose we’re not much different than other cities our size. As a department we get 45,000 calls a year but you know how it goes; most of those are non-fire. I should also state we are spread out over 250 squre miles.

I work downtown; lately we have been busy but prior to that, months went by since we had a worker. So it kind of goes like this; 75% of training is fire/ rescue related but 75% of day spent performing non-fire activities…Les
At 8:43pm on January 11, 2009, Rob Cannon said…
Jim,
Us being volunteer staffing is usually unknown, but generally about 4 in the first out piece. Auto aid we have 3 Tenders, 2 engines, 1 medic coming in. We recieve 1 engine and a 1 tender change of quarters.

Anything past this we utilize MABAS.

Cheers,
Rob
At 8:39pm on January 11, 2009, Mike Walker said…
Jim,

Anything larger then a single family dwelling gets what we call a commercial alarm: 4-Engines, 2-Ladders, Heavy Rescue and two Chiefs and if a brush pumper or Heavy tanker is housed with any of the Engines, they respond too.

A High-Rise (Anything 5-stories or taller) gets a High-Rise Response: 10-Engines, 5-Ladders, Heavy Rescue, Haz-Mat, 4-Chiefs. Seems large but that basically gets a primary line, back up line, Search on two floors, and RAT's (Rapid Ascent Teams), oh and also Lobby Control established.

We do have High-Rise in OKC. Around 100, give or take a few.
At 8:26pm on January 11, 2009, Michael Bricault (ret) said…
I'll be teaching Residential Search and Rescue. I sent you an email to your private address. Get back to me when you can.
At 3:24pm on January 11, 2009, Rob Cannon said…
Our duty is weekend and sometimes day duty. We're not all that busy, but we try to stay staffed as much as we can for a volunteer dept.
At 1:17pm on January 11, 2009, Michael Bricault (ret) said…
Sent ya a message up top in the mail bar.
At 4:15pm on January 10, 2009, L. Chapel said…
Jim,

Thanks for the thanks.

We have a six week officer academy that one must go through prior to performing as an acting officer. I believe it's required in order to even sign up for the Lt. test. But don't quote me on that.

As an officer we attend on-going officer development classes once a quarter. The subject matters range from personnel issues, fireground stuff or misc. hot topic items of pressing issues. The classes run about three hours and they are given by our on-duty district chiefs. The size of the class is six to eight.

Informally the district chiefs group will assign an new officer to a double company house that has an experienced officer. To do the "mentor thing".

There has been talk of changing the minimum time on the job to take the Lt. test from five to ten years. I'm not on the committee so I don't know if that was serious talk or if it has stalled.

Lastly, on has to have an associates degree in order to test for officer.

I know a couple guys from Denver FD and have met some other guys at our quarterly Fire Nuggets classes that are sponsered by Denver FD and attended by folks from all over, some by South Metro...Les

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service