Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Technical Rope Rescue

Information

Technical Rope Rescue

Rope Rescue Techniques and Equipment Are Discussed.

Members: 54
Latest Activity: Aug 28, 2016

Discussion Forum

SCARAB anyone? 1 Reply

Looks like a pretty good addition to the hardware bag. Has anyone used one? If so, pros, cons, etc...

Started by John D. Calamia. Last reply by Hector Rivera Jan 31, 2015.

Stokes Rigging 3 Replies

What are you using for Stokes Rigging?-Mfr bridle?-Prusik cords?-Adjustible pick-off straps w/ biners? If you're using biners, how do you avoid side loading them?How about patient…Continue

Tags: Technical Rescue

Started by David Malcomson. Last reply by Robert T Dec 31, 2013.

Facebook training...

It's been some time since I posted anything here...mainly because I write and work with Firehouse.comIf you would like to be a part of a great Facebook page and learn from your peers like my FB page…Continue

Started by Mike Donahue Nov 29, 2012.

RSS

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Technical Rope Rescue to add comments!

Comment by Jeremy Fox on December 17, 2010 at 4:42pm

John, I know of a Fire Department that used their Pierce Ladder Truck for a raising operation. I do believe they used their Lyfe Pulley system. Here is a link to the article on Vent-Enter-Search. http://www.vententersearch.com/?p=338 If you would like a way of getting ahold of him let me know and I can ask him.

Comment by Jim Rigstad on September 20, 2010 at 3:29pm
Used a CMC MPD for the first time last weekend. I think that this is a great device for both your main line and belay. The only drawback is the price.
Comment by John D. Calamia on July 28, 2010 at 10:40pm
I have recently been asked by a local company to assit them in training for stokes basket operations utilizing their Pierce 105' pre-piped straight stick. The apparatus came with Pierce's Lyfe Pulley Rescue System. After researching the system, I've found that it can be rigged two ways, one supporting a maximum load of 500# with the main line anchored at the base of the aerial, and the other supporting a maximum load of 250# with the main line anchored to a separate anchor independant of the apparatus. Both ways can be utilized as a COD/High point or a crane type set-up. Correct me if I am wrong, however if the aerial has a 1000# tip load, wouldn't you be better off rigging the main 4 rungs back from the tip with a sling or webbing and maintaining the full use of the 1000# tip load? Does any one have any experience with this particular system, I am open to suggestions/exepriences.
Comment by Mike Donahue on July 28, 2010 at 6:27pm
John,
Thanks for joining the group. You brought up a lot of great points. The comment regarding the 540 seems to be true among a lot of rescuers. If you train on it properly for a few min it becomes like second nature. However the price point compared to prusiks is rather large. That alone will shy departments away from the 540.
The Petzl "ID" is a great device and you'll have a lot of fun with it. Just make sure you buy the "RED" G rated model.
Thanks again for joining and stay safe,
Mike Donahue
Progressive Rescue
Comment by John D. Calamia on July 27, 2010 at 8:02pm
We utilize both the tandem prusiks and the 540, it's pretty much the crew's choice at the time. Personally, I would rather use tandem prusiks especially if your crew's experience is lacking. The 540 seems to require a certain degree of finesse and practice that may or may not be present among the crew. Tandem prusiks are cheap, easy to make, easy to replace, provide a greater warning of and less of a chance of failure, and have minimal (no) moving mechanical parts. Above all they are simple. We are awaiting arrival of a few Petz IDs. I played with them in a class not that long ago and I liked them, as with anything there is a learning curve especially in finding "the sweet spot." Once past that curve it seems to be a great addition to the hardware bag.
Comment by Mike Donahue on June 22, 2010 at 7:19pm
Tandem prusiks are always the popular choice for many reasons...cost...failure notice....etc. However have you ever had the chance to try the 540? I thinks it's the best ting since the invention of the nozzle (for you engine guys out there) If a load is caught on it the rescuer or student will drop a greater distance due to the stretch of the rope as opposed to the rope slipping through the belay. This sometimes does happen with tandem prusiks if they are tied improperly or the prusiks are left loose around the rope. I'll be putting out a webcast within the next week or two pertaining to the 540 belay.
Have you always used tandem prusiks or have you experimented with other belay devices?
Thanks for the comment Rob!
Mike Donahue
www.progressiverescue.com
Comment by rob Noble on June 21, 2010 at 11:08pm
Tandem Prusicks
Comment by Mike Donahue on June 20, 2010 at 10:31am
So I'm curious....What do you prefer as a belay system?Tandem prusiks or a 540 belay? If neither of these...what do you use?

Members (53)

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service