Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

How to Become a Firefighter

Information

Let's explore the journey of Becoming a Career Firefighter.  Let's have conversation about planning and executing goals, follow through with what it takes to be successful.  It will be my hope that both entry level Candidates and in service professionals join in and give insight and advise on what it takes to have the Nations BEST career...

Members: 4
Latest Activity: Jan 3, 2012

Discussion Forum

WSI Testing 1 Reply

Hi.  Getting ready to take the test for the fire department and I've heard that they really look at the WSI.  They can teach anyone to become a firefighter, but really select based on the results of…Continue

Started by Kris Kirkpatrick. Last reply by Craig Freeman Nov 25, 2011.

Looking for the right attitude to bring... 1 Reply

by FirecareersQuestion - Just wanted to know some first hand experience about my first time volunteering for a local fire department. Very excited,…Continue

Tags: freeman, paul, lepore, craig, firecareers

Started by Craig Freeman. Last reply by Mike France Nov 3, 2011.

FireTEAM testing Question

Craig,I am a current volunteer firefighter that is looking to make that next stepinto making my "hobby" my career. I am currently an EMT-B and will graduateparamedic school on Dec 22.I am in need of…Continue

Tags: written, drcog, firecareers, fire, firefighters

Started by Craig Freeman Nov 2, 2011.

How to Become a Firefighter.  Many theories exist on the right path to follow to be successful at becoming a career firefighter.  Career…Continue

Tags: become, a, firecareers, to, how

Started by Craig Freeman Oct 31, 2011.

FCBlog

Loading… Loading feed

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of How to Become a Firefighter to add comments!

Comment by Craig Freeman on November 10, 2011 at 11:44am

Search EMT and Paramedic positions right now across the Country. FREE  You can use this search tool right now for FREE.

Comment by Craig Freeman on November 7, 2011 at 7:44pm

The main obstacle stopping you from becoming a firefighter is the firefighter's entrance exam. This examination can be difficult to pass; however, if you prepare properly you can pass and fulfill your dream of becoming a firefighter. Concentrate on the strategies that will make you a successful exam taker.

Jitters and Pressure?

Do you tend to get jitters and suffer panic attacks when you take examinations? If this sounds like you, then you need to get a grip and change your routine. This type of behavior will not help you pass the firefighters entrance exam. Firefighting jobs can be very stressful. If you aren't able to endure the pressure of taking the examination for this position, then you will never be suitable for the job.

Taking the Exam

In order to successfully pass the firefighters entrance exam, you must possess the qualities necessary to take tests. If you don't already have these qualities, then you must learn them.

1. Know how to follow directions. Applicants who fail usually don't follow directions well or not at all. Read them carefully and don't make assumptions.

2. Understand and be able to apply any information that you read. Try to guess the reasoning of the question. What purpose does it have on the exam? Knowing this can help you answer the question.

3. Problem Solving Skills. You must apply facts and information to everyday situations that may develop at a moment's notice. The examination tests your ability to think on your feet and react to any situation that develops.

4. Map Skills. Quite naturally, as a firefighter, you have to know your way around the city. How will you be able to locate a burning building if you are not able to read a map?

5. Basic Grammar and Math. This is a given. Brush up on your fractions, verbs, division, multiplication and sentence structure. Although basic, these things are necessary.

What Do You Know?

The firefighter's entrance exam will test you from all angles. Yes, in order to get one of the many firefighting jobs that are available, you have to be knowledgeable and able to think quickly on your feet. You must have a combination of book sense, street smarts and of course, common sense. Your superiors must be convinced that you are able to take facts, apply them and find an adequate solution.

It is understandable that you won't have the answers to all questions; however, you must have the skills required to find the answers? Do you know how to research and apply information to any situation that is thrown your way? In order to pass the firefighters entrance exam, you must have confidence and common sense to make an educated guess when you don't know the answer.

A firefighter's job is extremely stressful indeed. If you have the desire, street smarts, common sense and quick thinking skills that it takes to pass the firefighters entrance exam, then firefighting is a good fit for you.

Thank you Donald Cirillo
Comment by Craig Freeman on November 7, 2011 at 3:00pm
Today Chief Prziborowski blogs about the 6 ways to stall your firefighter job search - http://firecareers.com/blog/6-ways-to-stall-your-firefighter-job-se...
Comment by Craig Freeman on November 3, 2011 at 3:19pm
Check out the new FCBlog by Las Vegas Firefighter/Paramedic Paul Card "Got the Love?"  Click the link above in the FCBlog section to read
Comment by Craig Freeman on November 3, 2011 at 2:37pm
Today I am working on Firefighter Work Styles Inventory testing. I am doing research to uncover what these WSI's are, how they affect you and what to expect. These types of tests are used coast to coast. From Menlo Park, CA. to Philadelphia, PA. and many departments in between. Right now Philadelphia is getting ready to admin their test and many people have a lot of questions about this test. If you have concerns or questions post them now. I will do my best to answer your questions when I post the findings...
Comment by Craig Freeman on November 2, 2011 at 11:24am
Did you know that Los Angeles City Fire Dept. has a number of specialized volunteer programs that you can get involved with. Follow this link to learn about volunteerpositions with Los Angeles City Fire Dept.
Comment by Craig Freeman on November 1, 2011 at 2:02pm

Becoming a professional firefighter is one of the most difficult career ambitions in the country. On the average there are over 100 people who apply for each position. While the numbers seem staggering, there are many aspiring firefighters who receive multiple job offers. While some may attribute getting hired to good fortune, in reality it takes passion, commitment, dedication and determination to earn the badge of a firefighter.

Comment by Craig Freeman on October 31, 2011 at 5:14pm
This past week members of Firecareers.com were notified of 104 Fire Department openings, including Firefighter in Tucson, AZ until Nov. 9, 2011, Paid on Call Firefighter in La Grange, IL until Nov. 3, 2011, Firefighter in Lufkin, TX until Dec. 16, 2011, Engineer in White City, OR until Nov. 8, 2011 and Firefighter/Paramedic in Barberton, OH until Nov. 23, 2011

Members (4)

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service