Where firefighters come to talk training

TOOLS OF THE TRADE-BASIC TOOLS OF THE JOB

Information

TOOLS OF THE TRADE-BASIC TOOLS OF THE JOB

Members: 116
Latest Activity: Aug 3, 2018

Discussion Forum

Tool History 8 Replies

Started by Brad Hoff. Last reply by Joseph R Polenzani Jul 29, 2010.

"Rig Books"?

Started by Joe Pantaleo Jun 17, 2010.

Tool Maintenance! 5 Replies

Started by Chuck Fager. Last reply by Chuck Fager Dec 19, 2009.

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of TOOLS OF THE TRADE-BASIC TOOLS OF THE JOB to add comments!

Comment by Rick Fritz on February 11, 2010 at 1:40pm
BEST-ALL PURPOSE HOOK ~ The New York City Fire Department standard hook to exact specifications in every detail. The most versatile hook used in the fire service today. This hook has a multitude of uses, from opening ceilings, walls, floors, moldings and casings to the rapid removal of wood, lath and plaster, tin and sheet metal, plasterboard, fiberboard and sheetrock. Features Specially Tapered Hook-Head Point, Two Workable Ends, Super Streangth Fiberglass Pole, Stainless Steel Wear Sleeve, Choice of Knob End, Electrically Non-Conductive, and Celtex Grips.

Comment by Rick Fritz on February 11, 2010 at 1:39pm
GOOD-BOSTON RAKE HOOK ~ Presently in use by the Boston Fire Department. On the head we have forged the Boston design out of carbon steel joining it to a stainless steel wear sleeve.

BETTER-SAN FRANCISCO HOOK ~ The hook used by the San Francisco Fire Department since the turn of the century. We streamlined the design and brought more function to its features. A sharpened edge and penetration point was added to the right angle along with large gripping teeth on the underside. Celtex grips and fiberglass shaft completes this unit. A gas shut-off and directional slot is built into the ram knob.

Comment by Mark Akins on February 10, 2010 at 7:41pm
Thanks for the info I was looking into the "Boston" rake hook I think is the actual name of it.
Comment by Brad Hoff on February 5, 2010 at 2:58pm
Great tool and have one on our truck and wish we had more. Be nice to have one on every engine as well. I thought it was called a "Clemens but they are totally different. This is referred to as a "Dry Wall Hook"

according to the Firemark Tool Co They also have a hook called the "Universal"

which is very similar to the dry wall and instead of a rake on the front they installed a blade to cut on the down stroke.
Maybe put a D handle on the end so you can perform Lt. Ciampo's punch techinque a little easier and you have a decent overhaul and extension tool!
Comment by Ben Fleagle on February 5, 2010 at 1:01pm
That's the one! Good little tool.
Comment by Rick Fritz on February 5, 2010 at 12:43pm
Sheet rock hook-A hook specifically designed for dry wall removal of all types. Can be used on other materials such as wood, plaster, sheet metal walls and ceilings. * An exceptional overhaul hook!

Features Larger Contact Point, Conventional Penetration, an Arc Hook, Exceptional Pry Action, Combination Rake and Hoe, Handles made of Solid Fiberglass, Choice of Knob End, Stainless Steel Wear Sleeve, and Celtex Grips

Comment by Ben Fleagle on February 2, 2010 at 8:13pm
Not sure if I'm thinking of the same tool, but what I know as the "rake" is either in a 6 footer or a small D handle or "closet hook" size and has 4 large teeth with a long sharp hook on the opposite/top side. Used for penetrating and pulling. If that is what you are talking about, I find it to be a really good tool for quick work, short duration. It will bring down big pieces of drywall if you manipulate it right, but for getting into tight area's a skilled pikeman would be better. I prefer the N.Y. Roof Hook to all others. The Rake is good as an egress tool as well.
Comment by Mark Akins on January 31, 2010 at 9:20pm
Looking for nfo and input on the pros/ cons of the "RAKE" I have not used one but believe it might be beneficial. Largely drywall in my area.
Comment by Rick Fritz on February 23, 2009 at 9:00pm
Marques,
The chisel point, the 90 degree "hook" general thinnes of the tool head. (Far right in picture above!) Well balanced!
Comment by Rick Fritz on February 18, 2009 at 2:18pm
Anyone tried the San Francisco hook? Works better than a NY hook!

Members (115)

Policy Page

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/archives.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our policy page HERE. -- Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2019   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service