Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Over the years I have had the privelage to work with many Fire Service Instructors from around our state as well as across the country. Some of them possess their local jurisdictions required Instr. 1 or 2 certifications and some do not. Some come with AA's, BS's or MS degrees, some with the school of "hard knocks" degree and some with just general BS. Some of these "experts" have achieved national recognition and their word has become gospel amongst many fire departments. But what happens if these "experts" haven't had the time and testing of actual fireground experience? Or what about the Instructor that has virtually no college or formalized training center experience but is the best at what they do like truck or engine work?

My question to Mob is what requirement; if any; balances out the Book smarts with the Street Smart experience of actually doing the job? What qualifies your instructors to teach the subjects that they are experts in? Have they done 10 or 15 years on a busy engine or truck company or are they fresh out of college with their degree. In no way am I degrading having a college education (I'm working on finishing mine as well), but where is the balance of books and first hand knowledge that should be required of Fire Service Instructors before they pass it on to other firefighters?

Views: 184

Replies to This Discussion

Jenn,

Unforntunately this has to be changed at a state level and there currently is not a formal organization that has authority over the Oklahoma Fire service. The only national or state recognized agency we have in the state is an IFSAC agency which does nothing but provide certification exams and the occasional training (ie. OSU-FST) but they have no jurisdictional authority to require anything. COFT is trying to become this agency but they have many issues and are not currently funded by the legislator.

Take care sis,
Brian
Yes Grumpy and I have been friends for a few years now I got to know him through the Worchester guys, hes a great friend. I had the pleasure of meeting his son at Indy last year. Take care
This is just my opinion:

Over the years I've had some great instructors and some down right awful guys who thought they were instructors! I think what makes the good ones "quality" instructors is their ability to "facilitate" the learning environment. I don't think it matters what academic degrees they have or experience. The ones that I learned the most from were good at teaching and making sure the students learned the topic!

Jason

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service