Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Just a debate going on in my head for a while now. As a company officer do you carry a small tool just for the forcible egress or do you carry other tools to actually do work. What do you carry in as a company officer.

Views: 2923

Replies to This Discussion

I've never had any problems cutting a roof with a pick head. They work just as good as any flat head I've ever tried, they do just fine until I give out. I've even tried a splitting maul, it did just as good as a dull axe, and I've even tried a sledge hammer (with out light weight construction some people swear by just beating a h*** in a residential roof). The pick head I carry is made by FireAxe, it's a replica of the old seagraves axe that L.A. used to carry.
I carry a small halligan tool, TIC, handlight, and most important my brain
Brian,

Ladder / Quint Officer:
Inside Op's - TIC, 5 ft. all-purpose hook (left at entrance unless pulling ceiling), light-box
Outside Op's - TIC, Trash hook, light-box (night)

Lt. Rob Fisher - L72
Robbie is like: "Just the facts, ...stay in school".

Whether I'm on the Engine, or the Truck (Quint), my favorite tool has always been the pick axe,..... I like smashing things. But in actual practice, I am a huge fan of the all purpose head (Griff), 5 footer. I am also expected to bring the TIC. We are also now carrying the New York Roof Hook (all purpose head) on every rig, which just makes me that much happier. I have been campaigning to put useful tools on the apparatus vs. the stuff that has been on there forever and never used. Practical is priceless. The all purpose head gives you so many options and its relatively light to carry, but strong and really takes a chunk out of light wood and sheet rock.

When going on the roof, though, I prefer the flat head axe, using the flat does the job so fast!

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service