Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I am just finishing the "First In Last Out" book by John Salka. I have found it very enlightning. The task now is to attempt to implement the ideas into department life at home. Anyone out there have any other books that realy changed how you operate within your dept.?

Views: 544

Replies to This Discussion

Bobby,

Another book that flew below radar was "A Plague on Your Houses." It discussed how consultants decimated fire departments and the societal and health crises that ensued across the Country. I liked a few of the books in your reading list. I especially liked the fact that none of the pop-culture feel good books/authors were present. While "Tipping Point," "Freakonomics," and "Who Moved My Cheese" have a few good sound bites in them, they lack the quintessential of what they are talking about. A few books to add to your list, be it deep reads are, "The Black Swan" by Nassim Taleb, "The Big Sort" by Bill Bishop, and "Gut Feelings" by Gerd Gigerenzer. These are the authors that Gladwell, Levitt, and others stole their ideas from...These books tell us why we can't predict, why people go and do what they do, and why everyone knows it, respectively.
Eric,
I just ordered both "A Plague on Your Houses" and "The Into the Mouth of the Dragon". How I never heard of these books until now is crazy. It would seem to me that these books should be required reading for anyone moving up the promotional ladder or any leader in a firefighter's union. I've heard of "The Black Swan", but don't know anything about it. "The Big Sort" and "Gut Feelings", I haven't even heard of. If you could give me a little more information it would be appreciated. Stay safe.
Just got through your book list. I really liked Black Swan and Gut Feelings. Thanks...I feel even better about myself now...

Erich Roden-thehousewatch.com said:
Bobby,

Another book that flew below radar was "A Plague on Your Houses." It discussed how consultants decimated fire departments and the societal and health crises that ensued across the Country. I liked a few of the books in your reading list. I especially liked the fact that none of the pop-culture feel good books/authors were present. While "Tipping Point," "Freakonomics," and "Who Moved My Cheese" have a few good sound bites in them, they lack the quintessential of what they are talking about. A few books to add to your list, be it deep reads are, "The Black Swan" by Nassim Taleb, "The Big Sort" by Bill Bishop, and "Gut Feelings" by Gerd Gigerenzer. These are the authors that Gladwell, Levitt, and others stole their ideas from...These books tell us why we can't predict, why people go and do what they do, and why everyone knows it, respectively.
This thread has been dormant for a while. No more good books?

I recently finished "To Sleep With the Angels". As a new dad it had me crying more than once. FE ran an article about the fire last month but to read the whole book will give you the personal stories of what people saw and did that day. Some of those stories are truely heartwrenching while others illustrate the true bravery, courage and compassion of the CFD firefighters and citizens who were there that day.

I think it is important that those of us in the fire service read stories like this because it helps us to keep our eye on the ball. When we get complacent about code enforcement, or allow the public to do so; that's when tragedy strikes in large numbers.

I'm reading "Random Thoughts" now, it's great. I usually leave it out on the kitchen table once a day, someone is bound to pick it up and learn something or find a new idea to try out.
I read "The Shack", "Angelas Ashes", and "Strategy and the Fat Smoker" last week. This week we have been digging out fire hydrats...no time to read this week...so sad.
For me it was Pride and Ownership. Lots of awesome ideas.
Rescue Men is an ok book. I found that the insight and theories into the coconut grove fire fascinating. However the author seems to suffer from an interior conflict between himself and his father, which disrupts the continuity of the storyline.

I give it a 6 out of 10, certainly worth the read however at times I found my mind wondering as the book struggled to keep my attention.

I loved Zac Unger's book "working fire". Talented writer that gets the reader "involved".

Of course my favorite book, one that I can read time and time again is Report From Engine Co. 82

Chris Fleming said:
Tim,
There is a book out called "Rescue Men" about some guys in one of the Rescue companies in The Boston F.D. I haven't read it, but I've heard it's good. Ray Downey's book "The Rescue Company" is pretty good, but more of a text book than a collection of stories. I've read "Last man Out", too. It was a great book.
So many books to read. Good thing I have quite a few more years before I retire. Thanks to all of you brothers for the list. Its nice to be reminded of all the men and women out there that are passionate about this job.

Stay Safe and never stop learning

Tom
I was wondering where all the book worms were...

Tom Londo said:
So many books to read. Good thing I have quite a few more years before I retire. Thanks to all of you brothers for the list. Its nice to be reminded of all the men and women out there that are passionate about this job.

Stay Safe and never stop learning

Tom
Anyone read "Fierce Conversations" by Susan Scott? It will change your life...

There are several books which come to mind when I read this topic, granted I am late to this discussion.  The list of books I have read through, read chapters from, often reference, gained knowledge, gained different tactics or strategy ideas, or just simply read for pleasure are listed below:

Building Construction for the Fire Service:  Brannigan

Command and Control of Fires and Emergencies:  Dunn

EMS Documentation (This book while written for EMS, helps to discuss the need for proper documentation, how reports are court documents, and different writing examples or tips in order to create complete and concise documents).

Fire and Life Safety Inspection Manual

Fire Fighting Principles and Practices: Clark

Firefighting Strategy and Tactics

Fire Lover (The Jon Orr once a great investigator then arsonist who of course always knew where the fire started!)

Fire Officers Handbook of Tactics

The Last Men Out: Life on the Edge at Rescue 2

Managing Major Fires

Report From Engine Company 82

The Rescue Company

Responding to Utility Emergencies

Responding to Routine Emergencies

Rope Rescue for Firefighting

The Sourcebook for Fire Company Training Evolutions

Tools of the Trade

Of course there are many others which we all use as reference, we should also never forget the basic books written by the educational companies such as IFSTA and others which no matter how experienced or time in the fire service, one may always use as a reference for their own personal knowledge or to help training others.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service