Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Does anyone have a policy (one that works) for conducting a roll call at a scene in the volunteer setting?
Here is why I ask. In this area the volunteers respond on their apparatus and in their personal vehicles. It is not impossible to have upwards of 50 firefighters from your department and only 4 peices of apparatus plus the mutual aid companies on scene. Everyone hands in their accountability tag and goes to work. Assignments are given out to the companies and to firefighters arriving in their POV. We all know how manpower staging has its flaws. The accountability tags are usually not sorted until the accountability officer is assigned. Now you have some type of event happens at the scene that would require you to account for everyone on the fireground.
I know, in my career department, that my crew is on the riding list, accountability tags are together and that crew stays together for the incident. So our roll call is pretty smple (ie. Accounability to E1. E1 accounted for on the first floor. Accounability to E2. E2 accounted for on the second floor. ect.).
Now given the scenario, what procedure do you use that could account for everyone within a reasonable amount of time to ensure you have to make a rescue not a recovery because of the time it took.?

Views: 1571

Replies to This Discussion

At our volly department, we usually don't have too many POVs on scene. Our SOPs state that personnel place their PAR tags on the apparatus PAR tag, for whichever vehicle they are riding. When the first due engine arrives, The command board is "guarded" by the Engineer, until the first arriving Chief is on scene. Any additional apparatus that respond (2nd due, Mutual Aid, etc..) are placed on the board in order of assignment. Personnel that arrive POV are placed in a special section on the board listed as "reserve", until they are given an assignment, and work as a company. They may function as RIC, RIT, FAST, or any other assignment as needed, and certified to do. This allows Companies to operate more efficiently and does not pose a hazard with Accountability. Mutual Aid personnel that arrive POV are designated according to assignment, and also operate under the "reserve" section as they arrive on scene.

Our first arriving engine officer gives the B.I.R. (Brief initial Report) upon arriving (similar to a size-up), then passes command to the first arriving Chief Officer. Additional Companies also report to the first due Engineer, and await assignment based on the situation (Our SOPs designate assignments based upon the nature of the call).

Example 1, Response SOPs:

First Alarm (Smoke Showing):
Initial Resources: 1 Chief, Engine 21, Engine 22, Engine 23, Tanker 24, Rescue 26

"Engine 21 arriving scene, 1 1/2 story wood-frame, truss roof SFD, smoke showing from exposure D. Engine 21 initiating attack, stretching a 1 1/2" line to entrance on exposure A. Engine 21 passing command to next arriving Chief."

Engine 22 knows that their next job is to establish water supply, until Tanker 24 arrives.

Engine 23 is normally assigned as ventilation

Rescue 26 is normally assigned as RIC

The Chief Officer (Fire Chief, DC, or AC) normally responds either POV, or in the Command vehicle shortly after or simultaneously with the first due Engine.

I know that this does not always work with volly Dept.'s. In the event that the Chief would be delayed, the 1st Due Company officer is designated to take IC until a Chief arrives.

PAR checks are one every ten minutes, regardless of the call. All reports are vital to PAR checks (e.g. roof reports, interior reports, etc..) In two stories or more, when units are operating on multiple floors, the officer assigned to interior operations reports how many are on the first story, second, etc..

Example 2, Roll Call:
Command: "Command to Division 1, give me a PAR."
Division 1: "PAR Complete, 4 on the 1st floor, 6 on the second" or on two story structures with balconies "4 up, 4 down"

"Now given the scenario, what procedure do you use that could account for everyone within a reasonable amount of time to ensure you have to make a rescue not a recovery because of the time it took.?"

You can have your geographic assignment (Interior operations or attack, vent, and SAR) officer complete the PAR check in a matter of seconds, then report to the AO or the IC.

Example 3:
Command: "Command to Division 1, I need a PAR."
Division 1,Capt. assigned to Ventilation: "Division 1 to E22 vent crew, give me a PAR."
Vent Crew: "PAR Complete, conditions are improving"
Division 1: "Copy E22 Vent Crew, All accounted for and vent conditions improving."
Division 1: "Division 1 to Command, PAR check complete, E22 reports ventilation successful, conditions improving."
Command: "Copy Division 1, PAR complete and ventilation successful."

My career dept. is similar, and yes, accountability is easier as long as personnel follow the watchbill, and do not trade trucks in the middle of the shift without letting the battalion Chief know first, without his permission. the same rule applies to volly depts. If you respond on that apparatus, you return on that apparatus.

Hope this helps!

Engineer Nick Miller
Engine 21
Valley FD
Apple Grove, Mason County, WV

Formerly
Firefighter-EMT
Engine Co. 4, Battalion 2
St. Andrews FD
Charleston, SC

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service