Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Today NFPA released their 2007 Firefighter Injury report. I found this to be very interesting as we are down 4% from last year. This is certainly reason for celebration. However, I also noticed in the report that we had two firefighters injured in training. I was floored. How is it in the time when students are supposed to be learning and improving their skills we are still creating unsafe environments for them? I looked back (out of curiosity) at the USFA's report on firefighter fatalities in training for 2007. This would amaze you even more. Eleven firefighters killed while involved in training activities. Maslow teaches us that in order for students to learn a basic need of safety and security must be met. How are we to meet that most basic need when statistics tell us that almost 10% of firefighter deaths are training related. While my personal opinion is that the instructors and the schools or departments should be held criminally liable, I wanted to open this out to discussion. What are your thoughts? Does anyone consider this to be an honorable way for us to manage our training? Give me your thoughts. Answer these questions:

* Why do have such high injuries in training?
*What can we do to correct this problem?
*What are you going to do with your department after this time together?

If you would like to get credit for participating in this discussion, please visit the Open Fire Academy by CLICKING HERE.

Views: 82

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

* Why do have such high injuries in training? Several Reasons: i) number of training scenarios is likely ten times the number of actual incidents, ii) poorly planned training evolutions many times in derelict, abandoned or previously burned buildings and iii) We rush training and do not provide proper training goals, pre-sceanrio walk throughs and post training debriefing.
*What can we do to correct this problem? Slow DOWN! Take our time. The military says time spent on Recce is never time wasted so we should take apge out their book and fully evaluate every training scenario BEFORE rushing into it. On top of this we need to advise all orf our officers that if there is ANY question whatsoever as to the safety of a particular training evolution, then we will not do it until it is rectified. If it can't be rectified then we need to look for other training opportunities and simply not do what was planned.
*What are you going to do with your department after this time together? Focus on the positive and remember we should put at least as much time planning, preparing, scheduling, and de-briefing training exercises as we do conducting and doing them.

RSS

Policy Page

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/archives.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our policy page HERE. -- Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Friday

Firefighter Behavioral Health

with

Dr. Beth Murphy

CALL IN AND JOIN THE SHOW

1-877-497-3973 (Toll Free)
or 1-760-454-8852

Check out the schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

Podcast Archive

© 2019   Created by fireeng.   Powered by