Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

In my big stack of formulas I can not find one that computes the water flow from a pump, large case 1750 gpm, from a single 3" outlet into a 5" LDH hose. The salesman claims it has no effect on the gpm verses the usual method of having two outlets in the discharge manifold trunked together into a single 5" outlet.

Any answers will be greatly appreciated and any help with posting. I am 55 years old and this is the first forum post of my life.

Thanks guys and gals

Views: 167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Charles,
welcome to the wonderfull world of the interwebs!
If you are going to be working from the charts, the LDH is not a factor. The 3 inch outlet is the determining factor as all the water flow, friction etc, is going to start from there. If you have access to anyone that sells Task Force Tips, their sales trucks always have inline flow/pressure meters and I have always found them to be willing to travel to our part of the world to get real world numbers on what our rigs are really pumping. Real world testing is always better than a genaric chart.

Best of luck and kudos for trying to find the answef to a vefy impoftant question.
Laffy
(It seems that my keyboafd has gone out of sefvice. Ffied Fice!)
I have been told the samething because there is very little friction loss coming straight off the pump and you achieve almost the same effect as with having a LDH come right off the pump and there is not a price increase for running the bigger plumbing size.

These are pretty handy units for those of us who hate math! akron_firecalc_9900_pocket_calculator/

Laffy...now that's funny!!!
Thanks, I question salesmen that sell a truck with a genertor for the light tower but no outlets or cord reels to take adavantage of the big generator. Now if I could only understand the logic in necking down that 3" outlet to 2.5" instead of capping it with a 5" Storz fitting to do some serious relay pumping. I wasn't around when they speced that truck. It is amazing how much money can be spent to make something pretty at the expensive of practical functionalbility. When the weather breaks we can go out and do some testing to find out how much water we can move through that

Brad Hoff said:
I have been told the samething because there is very little friction loss coming straight off the pump and you achieve almost the same effect as with having a LDH come right off the pump and there is not a price increase for running the bigger plumbing size.

These are pretty handy units for those of us who hate math! akron_firecalc_9900_pocket_calculator/

Laffy...now that's funny!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/archive/.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our policy page. -- Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2020   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service