Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Brothers and sisters attached is a link to an interview I did with Jason Durbin, who is the Chicago firefighter who pulled the lady out of the high-rise last Sunday. In my opinion he's a hero, I think he did the right thing the right way and for the right reasons, not everybody agrees with me though. So I am wondering what say you? Here's a link to listen and let me know what you think
http://www.fireengineering.com/index/podcasts/podcast-display/podca...

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for posting this for everyone to be able to listen and learn from. This man without a doubt is a hero in our service and should get a pat on the back for what he has accomplished. Any firefighter worth his weight will realize that this was a simple risk vs. gain and in this instance FF Durbin felt that the gain was well worth the risk. Obviously there will be some out there that will point out the dangers of him being ill equipped, and not having the protective equipment that we are so sternly told to not function unless we have it on no matter what the case may be. He fulfilled the duties of a firefighter and lived up to the oath that he took before his first day on the truck. Good Job Jason and God bless!
This job is made for people whos heart tells them to do the good things (running into the building) when others are doing the smart things (getting out of the building). We just have to keep reminding each other to work as safe as we can, so that we all get to do this job for as LONG as we can.

God Bless and stay safe.
-When I saw this interview I was certain this firefighter acted correctly and am shocked that anyone would question his actions.
-The only thing I could anticipate from detractors is that as a professional firefighter, his actions were outside of established SOP's and that he didn't have gear. I would submit that this firefighters actions were in accordance and keeping with the mantra of the fire service;
1. Risk everything to save a life!!
2. Risk a little for property
3. Risk nothing for that which is gone
-His actions are not an endorsement for disregarding safety procedures or established rules and guidelines. Rather, his actions are in direct response to a very unusual situation in which he found himself.
I agree Brother Mike!

I see our brothers actions as selfless and heroic like in the mantra above. If I may I would also like to bring up another of our brothers. One who in front of thousands said that sometimes we tend to get TOO into the safety issues but not that we should through safety out the window by any means but in the aspect of allowing us to do our job! This man was hailed as a hero for words of truth just as the actions of our brother Jason in Chicago. Yet some feel our brothers words were out of line for stating some truths that many have been avoiding or overreacting to for so long. Our brother in Chicago in the act bravery and sacrifce, knew the risks of putting his life and career on the line for what needed to be done much like our brother Ray. They knew they would have to deal with the consequences, if any afterward. Like so many of our brothers and sisters, our brother Jason from Chicago GAVE OF HIMSELF, like those who have gone before us!
I was at this conference once and the speaker once said:
We risk a little to save a little! We risk a lot to save a lot! WE WILL RISK EVERYTHING TO SAVE A VIABLE PERSON!

Thank you for those words

Take Care Chief!

Your friend, Todd McKee
First of all I think it is great that you posted this for everyone to listen to. Not only is it a wonderful learning tool, it really shows what this job is all about. I think there is no question that he did the right thing. From day one we are programed with the motto:

"We risk a lot to save a lot; we risk a little to save a little."

It is very evident that he had a plan and thought through his actions like a true professional. I huge kudos to Jason for a job well done!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our policy page. -- Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2021   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service