Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

My department is in the process of reconfiguring our highrise/ standpipe packs. We have moved to 150' of 2 1/2" hose using 3 seperate bundles. We also use 1 1/4" soild stream nozzle. I am intetrested what other departments are using.
Bob

Views: 1275

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bob
I would look into a stack tip, but only 1 1/8 and the 11/4. Sometimes you need the extra reach and if the proper nozzle pressure is not maintained the 1 1/4 reach falls off real fast. We use 11/4 on ours and I wish we had the smaller tip on occasion. We have 100'of 2.5 inch single jacketed for lighter weight. We also have 100' 1.75 with 15/16 tip. Gated wye with pressure gage and 2 1/2 adapter with gage. Door chocks, pipe wrench ect.
Jay
I agree I was in favor of the 1 1/8" tip from the start. We also use hte 15/16 for our 1 3/4" lines. We have taken some big steps in regards to highrise/standpipe operations. Last year this time we were still using 1 3/4" for all of the highrise packs and not too long ago we were using automatic fogs. Change is slow but it worth the wait and the fight some cases.
Bob
Hey Bob...

What we use and what I think are appropriate are two different stories. We use (2) 100 ft. lengths of 2" single-jacket rubberized hose. The lengths are individually bundled in 6 foot accordian loads with velcro straps. The lead length is equipped with a TFT ball shut-off with 1" slug tip. The accessories are carried in a small tool bag, including: 2 1/2" in-line gauge, 2 1/2 x 1 1/2 cone reducer, 2 1/2 x 1 1/2 gated wye (one discharge capped to prevent accidental opening), spanners, robogrip pliers, wedges, and a 1 1/2 IP x 1 1/2 NS adaptor (for old standpipes).

That being said, we plan to use 6-7 members to put the first line in operation off a standpipe with a goal of delivering 200 gpm at a low discharge pressure with minimal tendency to kink. That means that we shouldn't use "staffing" as a scapegoat reason NOT to use 2 1/2. I think you are on the right path with the 2 1/2 and 1 1/4 tip. I'm a firm believer that your nozzle should be matched to the maximum efficient flow of the line its attached to. It never made sense to me to equip a 2 1/2 preconnect with a 1" 200 gpm tip, or 1 3/4 with a 95 gpm fixed gallonage nozzle for example.

Capt. John Buckheit from FDNY has a great method of packaging the 2 1/2 for easy deployment; its a spin off of FDNY's roll-up method. He is a good friend of Capt. Dan Sheridan who is a member of this site. Dan might be able to post some pics of the "modified roll-up" and its use. I've taught his method in several classes and the students eat it up as the best they've seen...

My only comment would be to make up a measuring rope and get out into your district to make sure your 150 ft. is going to cover your real estate. We've got several places where we will need 250-300 ft. to make the end of the hallway and into the apartment from the standpipe outlet on the floor below.

Be safe Brothers.
Chris
If you are planning to be at FDIC, I hope you come take our workshop on Firefighting in Fireproof Multiple Dwellings. We will go over everything you need to know about fires in these types buildings. I have been dealing with them for 22 years in the South Bronx and Harlem.
Great point on the increased reach of the 1 1/8 tip.
we use 100' 1 3/4" using 2 seperate bundles with a third bundle using a 25 ft section of 2.5" hose with a gatedwye. We are looking into going to 2 1/2 bundles- what made you move to the bigger hose?
ward
Thanks, running into opposition ---some just do not like change. I will check out your power point. Thanks again.
ward
Dave the problem with 1 3/4 is the pressure issue 3 lengths is going to cost you 60 PSI. You are right on the money with the wind, a 20 mph wind is the same on the 3rd floor as the 20th, you will need all the water you can get if you are faced with that scenario.
I was there from 91-95 when I got promoted. I only worked with 1 guy that was lost, but I knew most from covering in SOC.
The main reason was the reduction in friction loss. We are able to get much greater gpm with lower outlet pressures. We are able to obtain 250 - 300 gpm with outlet pressures of 80-70 psi
Bob
We went to the low pressure high volume break apart nozzles on our 1 3/4" pre-connects. 150@50 using the 15/16 slug tip. We love it.
Bob
Dave,
We had to fight for a couple of years to get to the point were we could test the 2 1/2" standpipe pack idea. It finally took a chief from Denver (Dave Macgrail) to make things happen. Thanks Dave! Funny how the same idea from outside your dept. can make a difference. Hey what ever it takes. We have found with some good training the 2 1/2" is just slightly more work than 1 3/4". We do extensive training using 3 - 4 F/Fs putting the packs into service. We also drill often, with a single F/F operating the 2 1/2" line. We are still fine tuning our system.
Bob

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service