Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I am wondering if anyone out there has an SOG for giving station tours. We are trying to write one and would I would like some input. The old way of having the new guy do the talking just isn't putting the right image out to the public.

Stay safe
Tom

Views: 219

Replies to This Discussion

Perhaps, a better approach would be to have the Public Information Officer give the tours that are prescheduled and for theunscheduled tours, the senior FF(non-Officer) of the shift could do it. Ideally, he/she is the one most vested in the history of your house and it's equipment. The junior FF should also be there but not interrupt him/her and this will help pass tradition to the next generation and humble the arrogance that is sometimes associated with rank or seniority.
Our Department has a SOG regarding this matter , but it also covers Members and their duties when bringing in outsiders., We checked with our Insurance Compnay and then formed the SOG . Basically during Fire calls Non members are not allowed In the truck bays , they are regulated to the Rec. Room area of the Fire dept., as Far as tours , tours are given by the Chiefs office or Boards Office anytime , but once the tones go out they must exit to the Rec room until we return. being a Vol. Dept. I as chief serve as PIO in most cases unless i designate a indivdual. I do most of the Fire Prevention along with two lower officers so we set up tours on a as need basis's
Thanks Chief. That sounds like a great way to keep the public out of harms way.
Tom- it helped me out greatly, when doubt , contact your insurance company they always have answers

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service