Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Just a note to offer info on preparation for promotional prep, focusing on assessment centers and other performance based scenarios. After having to take a few assessment centers to promote, I was certified as an assessor and have mostly tried to help candidates prepare for assessment centers, although I have been involved as an assessor and presenter for some public safety agencies. But most of what we do is work with candidates to help them get ready for a promotional. Why? Because most public safety agencies do not actually help their future leaders gain the skills or experiences they need to step into the new role of either a Captain, B/C or D/C, but merely post an announcement a few weeks before an assessment center is scheduled. I recently wrote an article on "succession planning" and found that most agencies surveyed did not have any genuine leadership development or succession plan at all to groom their future leaders. So, this seems to keep me busy helping those who are really serious about getting ready for these new roles.

Just as you train on equipment and use realistic scenarios for "simulations," you should be developing realistic scenarios for your subordinates that cover the core skills of a company officer. And, you can do them really at no real cost, just a commitment in time and energy.  Our web site is http://assessmentcenter.org and we have many references from Fire/EMS and law enforcement agencies nationally.  Feel free to drop me a line and I'll be happy to answer any questions I can about the assessment center process.

Views: 112

Reply to This

Policy Page

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our policy page. -- Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2021   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service