Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Hey guys. I have a question. Had a vehicle accident today. The car was rear ended. No damage to the front end. The drivers door was pinned shut. Air bags were not deployed.Drivers window up and in tack. Long story short. Trying to pop the hood to access the battery, to cut power from the air bags. While we were extricating. Could not access the hood release or the cable. Had to go straight for the latch. My question is. What is the best way to do this and what tools to use. Jaws were being used elswhere and had a prob with them. Couldn,t use a sawsall, gas everywhere. We eventually got it with two halligans, a spud bar and brute strength.

Views: 2716

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Corner fold wouldn't do it? It does suck about the fuel; I'd cut out the latch with a K-12.
Thanks Larry: We dont have a K-12 anymore. But couldn't use it anyways because of the fuel.
Brent: We don't have that tool. However I did consider doing that with the forks of the halligan. But could not find the cable.

Any other ideas??? For the next time. If it wasn't for the fuel I would have been in it with the sawsall. The procedure we used took us about 5 minutes.

Thanks again guys.
Tom Burger said:
Thanks Larry: We dont have a K-12 anymore. But couldn't use it anyways because of the fuel.
Brent: We don't have that tool. However I did consider doing that with the forks of the halligan. But could not find the cable.

Any other ideas??? For the next time. If it wasn't for the fuel I would have been in it with the sawsall. The procedure we used took us about 5 minutes.

Thanks again guys.

But the battery was not in the front corner of the engine compartment?
Tom, I'll try to get a picture of that tool that Brent is talking about for you. We carry those, but in my area they are called a Felkins tool. They do work well, but you have to get to the cable.
There are a few ?'s here.... What kind of car was it? Some cars have the battery in the wheel well.
This car seems to be damaged enough to take a halligan and pry each side to get to the battery.
There was a time the I put two holes with a halligan close to the latch for a grip for the cutters and cut the latch that way. You said the spreaders were being used but were the cutters being used as well?
I have also removed the front grill and used bolt cutters to release the latch before as well.

Good Discussion!
Todd McKee
Larry - The K-12 would create sparks and could ignite the fuel - Todd

Larry Lasich said:
Corner fold wouldn't do it? It does suck about the fuel; I'd cut out the latch with a K-12.
Todd McKee said:
Larry - The K-12 would create sparks and could ignite the fuel - Todd

Larry Lasich said:
Which is why said that the fuel being there sucked :-) However; if I HAD to get them out, I'd use the K-12. That's why you pull a 1 3/4 on all vehicle deals. Spray the hell out of the ground and stand by with foam in the line.
Larry: We did eventually find the battery. Drivers side, under the hood, under the washers fluid container, which was under the cross support. When we got the hood up, you couldn't see the battery. It took some searching. You had to unbolt the cross support and then remove the fluid container to get to the battery.

We did have a 1 3/4 line pulled and charged with foam. But did not soak the area down.

Todd: It was some sort of OLDSMOBILE. The cutters wern't being used. However the prob. was with the hydraulics. We had the hood up by the time it got resolved. Didn't even think about the bolt cutters. Will have to remember that one. How well did they work?????
The bolt cutters has always worked fine for me, try at a training one time thanks todd

Tom Burger said:
Larry: We did eventually find the battery. Drivers side, under the hood, under the washers fluid container, which was under the cross support. When we got the hood up, you couldn't see the battery. It took some searching. You had to unbolt the cross support and then remove the fluid container to get to the battery.

We did have a 1 3/4 line pulled and charged with foam. But did not soak the area down.

Todd: It was some sort of OLDSMOBILE. The cutters wern't being used. However the prob. was with the hydraulics. We had the hood up by the time it got resolved. Didn't even think about the bolt cutters. Will have to remember that one. How well did they work?????
It's sad, but I've seen many firefighters look like the proverbial monkey/football mating game when attempting to open a hood. We too have the Felkin's Hood tools and they're certainly worth the little money they cost (still available?) I'd be more inclined to use the hydraulic tools for cutting than a k-12 if they're available. The saw is loud, presents a significant ignition source and is far more hazardous to any responders not in full turnout gear.
Adam, we made our own felkins tool after the first one was bought. I agree also, hoods can make us look silly. Tom, I'm glad to see you guys had that line off, that is forgotten many times. I have to agree with Todd, a halligan and bolt cutters normally works, but as usual, new cars are creating new problem for all of us to overcome.
Jeff,
Makes sense to fashion your own Felkins type tool, they're certainly not high tech in design. Should be fairly readily made in the station shop by most firefighters.
Jeff Schwering said:
Adam, we made our own felkins tool after the first one was bought. I agree also, hoods can make us look silly. Tom, I'm glad to see you guys had that line off, that is forgotten many times. I have to agree with Todd, a halligan and bolt cutters normally works, but as usual, new cars are creating new problem for all of us to overcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/archives.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our policy page HERE. -- Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Thursday at 7:30 p.m. EDT

Xtrication Radio

with

Dave Dalrymple

CALL IN AND JOIN THE SHOW

1-877-497-3973 (Toll Free)
or 1-760-454-8852

Check out the schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2019   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service