Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I am currently retired but have spent considerable time teaching high rise fire operations. (1981 to1992) This tactic for high rise opertions comes form the LACITYFD. and is used successfully in actual fires.
Myself and Bob Ramirez travelled across the U.S. presenting high rise seminars.
Regarding the hose lays in stairshafts. Using 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 attack lines we found that it is very effective to lay the lines up the stairway on the fire floor and then back down to the doorway. Do not load the line until the fire attack team is ready to enter the fire floor. When the line is loaded it will come back down as the line is extended. This will be an easier pull into the fire area rather then pulling the line up from the floor below. This operation is better then pulling all of the hose from the stairway as it comes out of the hose pack or bundle. Some firefighters call this the "loop" method.

Views: 323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://community.fireengineering.com/forum/topic/show?page=1&co..." target="_blank

Hey Jack. CHeck this discussion out. This very issue is being debated by both sides.
This is the method that we use at my departments and it has never failed us. With minumum manpower, we have to work faster and smarter. This hoselay lightens the load for the attack team and with proper training, it is a very fast hose lay with minimal hang ups.
You guys might be able to use the Training Minute I did on this awhile back. I have used this technique at fires for years.
Enjoy retirement.
Ray

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/archives.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our policy page HERE. -- Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Wednesday

The Built Environment

with

James Johnson

CALL IN AND JOIN THE SHOW

1-877-497-3973 (Toll Free)
or 1-760-454-8852

Check out the schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2019   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service