Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

We use shift Training/Safety officers. There are 3 of us- one for each shift , with a B.C. that works 40 hrs. Is there anyone using this system?

Views: 122

Replies to This Discussion

We use the same system here. It has been up and running for just over 2.5 years. The system seems to work well as long as their is a joint game plan for the STO's. I have found that we struggle getting the same message to each shift. I think we have made some headway with a Bi-annual training Calendar. The hours and quality of training have goneway up since the inception of the program. I would be really interested to see how you tackle the beast.
Hey frank, thanks for the reply.

sounds like the same issues. Our training has increased and the guys like it. Also, it has broken down the wall between ops and training. We report to the Training Commander, who works 40 hrs, He sets the training schedule and assigns topics and duties. We also report to the Shift Commander (BC) for day to day things and on scene. We train tue, wed thurs. (and now Sat). We train 8-5 on training days, check daily training reports, do (in house)accident investigations and run safety on incidents.

What department are you with? When your off, do they back fill your position? We sometimes do, we have an "on call Safety" officer respond from home. Interested in the way you do things.

bob
rsmith@northnaplesfire.com

Frank Beauvais said:
We use the same system here. It has been up and running for just over 2.5 years. The system seems to work well as long as their is a joint game plan for the STO's. I have found that we struggle getting the same message to each shift. I think we have made some headway with a Bi-annual training Calendar. The hours and quality of training have goneway up since the inception of the program. I would be really interested to see how you tackle the beast.
We train Mon.-Fri,. 8-5 and try to get an occassional night drill(few and far between). My on-line BC is ultimately responsible for me but, for the most part my DC of Training is who I report to. We have a bi-annual training calendar that is usu. general in concepts (ex. Apr. 09-Hose Evo.'s, EVOC, D/O) I will schedule the classes and assign companies to where they need to go after looking over manning and what is on the Calendar. I try to look as far forward as possible witht the thought that if I have my stuff up/running and scheduled most other events work around me. If the training is done under my direction I take care of reports otherwise I try and keep an eye on the FIREHOUSE entries of my Company Officers. Mainly b/c if it isn't written down it didn't happen. After the 8-5 gig I fill in on any apparatus that needs and Officer or I sit Vent side on our Truck. We do not back fill for the position when I am gone. WHen on-duty we as STO's do respond to calls as needed in a Safety Capacity. We are still learning and the position has taken as a few knocks like anything new in the Fire Service. Finally, I work for Nampa Fire Dept. just outside of Boise, Id. We have roughly 90 personnel w/5 stations-- 5 ALS engines and 1 Truck and BC. I look forward to seeing what you guys are up to.
Frank
beauvaisf@ci.nampa.id.us

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our policy page. -- Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2022   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service