Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Does your department assign a radio for every firefirghter on scene?

Views: 430

Replies to This Discussion

My department does assign a radio to each firefighter on shift. Does this cause some problems? Absolutely, and one of the things we try to instill in the new members is to use disipline and only relay pertinent information over the radio. The benefits of every member on the fireground having a radio when things go bad far outweigh the negatives that go along with it.
Only our officers and engineers are assigned radio's. However every apparatus has a radio for each position that is to be utilized in case of mayday or what have you. Thus far it has cut down on unwarranted radio traffic but everyone understands that they have a radio to use if needed.
Everyone on our department has their own radio. Sometimes it does create problems though, like when one captain kept his mike keyed giving backing instructions to his MPO for a whole block. all everyone could hear was the backup alarm.
When I started I was told the radio is for listening 95% of the time and talking 5% of the time. If you keep it short and to the point with information that is important there is no problem with people having a radio.
We have radios for each postion. It has not presented any big problms except for the above mentioned feed back. We went to each riding postion having a radio for May Day's. We have a bank charger on the rigs and change batteries every morning on the radios. We also change flash lights and voice amps. Three critical items.

Stay Safe,

RicK Mosher (Merriam, KS Fire)
Our Officers are all issued radio and we provide radio in many of the riding positions. It is a work in progress, but on most incidents every firefighter operating will have a portable.

Strong policy, strong enforcement followed by strong peer pressure is the only way to keep the "chatty cathys" off the radio. An emphasis on "face to face" should still be made. How many times have you seen a member at the front door talking by radio to the IC that is only 20 or 30 feet away?

What is communicated needs to be established. When your mission is accomplished, if you can't complete your mission, urgent hazards or problems. And while I understand ICS and it's function, it boggles my mind when I hear an interior company call Command for more pressure, and then Command call the engine supplying the line. Some communications need to go direct and not through Command.

Just because you can use the radio, doesn't mean you should.

The best story I ever heard/read about dealing with a talker went like this.
(from The Last Men Out: Life on the Edge at Rescue 2 Firehouse: Tom Downey)

After a incident where the firefighter was talking too much, the officer met him on the apparatus floor. He calming took the firefighters radio from his geat and then removed the battery. He then placed the battery in one pocket and the radio in the other. He looked at the firefighter and said, "don't put the battery back in that radio unless you have a mayday." aand then "if you have time to put the battery back in, you don't have one."

From the story it was pretty effective for several weeks.
Our department has a radio for every position as it should be. I agree that every firefighter should have a radio, not every firefighter should use a radio. But when things go bad it will be needed to transmit a MAYDAY or urgent message.
If there is too much radio traffic on your fireground it is a training issue.
I have an acronym that I use when I teach
D.I.M.W.I.T. "Does It Matter What I'm Trasmitting" If it Doesn't don't say it.
I want to echo Ryan's thoughts the good far outweighs the negatives
Great Acronym can I share it with my fire department?

Rick
Thats bwhy I posted it
Keep em safe
Another thought....

It's a "release to listen" not a "push to talk"

Thanks Frank I'm sure lots of us will use this

RSS

Policy Page

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/archives.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our policy page HERE. -- Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Friday at 7:30 p.m. EDT

Networking for Success

with

Dave McGlynn

CALL IN AND JOIN THE SHOW

1-877-497-3973 (Toll Free)
or 1-760-454-8852

Check out the schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2019   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service