Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

The door firefighter is very important position in the engine. Generally it is the third firefighter on the line. Some departments do not have enough firefighters on scene to fill this position. Or so they say. Some stretches will not require the door firefighters help while others will require more than one firefighter to fill that position. What other role does the door firefighter have?

Views: 383

Replies to This Discussion

True - All good additional information Dave

But there is More!
The doorman has many important roles. First, he needs to size-up the building, the fire and the stretch. He will aid in the stretch and communicating with the officer and pipeman when to break the line, if stretching off of the rear, to make sure that there is enough line on the ground to advance and reach the seat of the fire. He will keep a constant eye on conditions and communicate them. The doorman will also monitor the line to know when the company is stalled, advancing or backing out. As was stated above, also to protect the entry and chase kinks. If it is a bottle stretch or up a well, he will need to secure the line to a railling or any other substantial object. I am sure ther are many more important jobs that the doorman has to accoplish, and I am here to learn them. Thank You and a great topic!
All good. Try to stay outside the IDLH area and conserve your air so you can relieve the nozzle man. (Don't want to give up the line to another company!) Monitor how many people went into the fire area. And most importantly, watch for rollover. Don't want the fire to get behind the nozzle team.
I agree with everything said so far. In my department (typical suburban Chicago area) we run 3-man companies. On the attack engine, one man is pumping leaving the officer and jump seat to be a 2-man team. We get the third man from the company's ambulance or tanker crew (both 2-man crews).
The FF with make the stretch while the officer does his thing. The 3rd FF (doorman) usually reaches the door about the time the attack team is masked up, line is charged and they are ready to push in. At this point we teach the doorman has certain specific duties: 1) Who is going in (how many people); 2) Push line as the attack team moves but don't push over the team; 3) Determine when the attack team has reached it's 1st objective (initial water application); 4) When the #3 is determined, push another 15 feet of hose into the building and make his way to the officer. 5) If the line turns a corner, pull the slack up to the bend. If the line goes up the stairs, move the slack to the stairs. 6) Upon reaching the officer, perform as assigned.
With the initial doorman inside, a new doorman takes over-it's usually a member of the initial RIT(2 members satisfying the 2 in/2 out requirement). The other initial RIT member may be doubling up as the OVM. If the fire progresses past a simple room and contents we will have a formal RIT from mutual aid.
All of this is for the typical private dwelling. For large multi-family or commerical/industrical we preach pairing companies immedately to insure the hose team has 4-6 members.
As for giving up the line, I don't have any experience with that except for wash downs.
Steve got close to what I was looking for as an addition task for the Door firefighter.
The Door Firefighter in many instances, depending on your department's staffing scam scheme, may be responsible for estimating the stretch, save what the Officer is thinking on the way up. This position is often taken lightly as it can be routinely relegated to the junior Firefighter working that day or the out-of-house detail for the tour. However, the door has many an important task. Notwithstanding the dynamic positioning of the Engine Officer, the Door also gets a liberty pass to move along the line. The Door must be able to get needed hose into the fire area(s) and position himself accordingly. Moreover, the Door must keep an eye on what the Nozzle Team (Engine Officer, Nozzleman and Back-up) can't see. Furthermore, he must also keep an eye on who is going above the fire, as he may be the only one who knows they are up there if they fail to communicate their intentions. Finally, the Door must make himself available to provide relief for any position ahead of him...
Thanks for the ideas....I know what we will be drilling on tomarrow.
Bob
Drew - I would have said it was just a term you were using when you said Push the line but you also said to be carefull you dont Push over the nozzle team. When a firefighter is giving line to the nozzle team Pushing it can cause one of several problems such as a severe kink in the line. It is safer for all if the door firefighter enters the home or hallway and Pulls hose into position instead of staying back and Pushing 15 'feet of hose into the building.
The Door man should also be trained enough to be 'the eyes in the back of the officers head'. By this I mean it is his job to watch the rear flank, whether it be fire coming over or around that the nozzle team may not be seen, to just as important keeping the nozzles teams egress to safety from being blocked off by a logjam of guys who 'just need to get in there' (you know 10 guys trying to get into a 10 X 10 room so they can get 'a piece of the fire'. This is especially important when you're going into a basement or up to an attic. if conditions turn nothing is worse than running into a wall of brothers blocking your egress. I know an officer should make sure this is ok, but who do you want watching out for you? I want the team member with my back first and foremost.
The officers ok too....
There have been a lot of great points made so far regarding tasks the door man can complete and responsibilities he can undertake. Here are two more that I haven't seen yet:
1. When the engine company arrives before the truck, the door man may also be assigned outside ventilation.
2. After the hose team makes entry, the door man can search the immediate area inside the doorway for overcome victims (especially behind an inward opening door), being careful not to get too far into the structure.
Great point about restricting access when there is plenty of help in a confined area.

We ran into this very situation while I was acting in the door position recently. We had made the second floor stairwell landing and were greeeted with heavy fire conditions (2.5 story balloon frame construction structure.) After I had chased the kinks, I followed the line and then was forced to head off well intentioned members who sought to join the officer and nozzleman on the tiny landing. Needless to say, I stopped them from passing, and explained after why I had taken that posture. Sometimes more help isn't the answer.

I also try to make a habit when arriving second due, to assist the first due pump operator in making sure his line has been flaked out correctly-try never to pass a kink without taking the time to fix it.

Be Safe,

Chris
Great info from all, but another question...who on the team takes the role of doorman? Two differnt ways to think about it, but I know who I'd want. A more experienced firefighter knows where the problems or potentials lie in the stretch being performed, not so with a junior firefighter possibly. You want some experience on the nozzle, but a good officer who is coaching the nozzle team will handle this. What do the rest of you think about it?

RSS

Policy Page

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/archive/.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our policy page. -- Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2020   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service