Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Kevin LeGacy has seemingly mastered the art of widening the adz of the halligan. As a result, members that he has worked with have taken to utilizing this modified tool. It provides for a greater spread during the "GAP" phase of conventionally forcing inward swinging doors. Any other thoughts, or has anyone else seen this type of modification??? Check out Brotherhood Instructors LLC webpage.
http://brotherhoodinstructors.com/wordpress/?p=242

Views: 848

Replies to This Discussion

-I have been using the standard Halligan bar for going on twenty years now and am a firm believer that many firefighters assume they know how to use this tool adequately when in fact most do not know how to use this tool properly.
-Having said that, I have tried the wide adz and found it to be interesting though not necessary if one learns to use the Halligan correctly.
-If you think the wider blade will be helpful and can properly modify the tool so as to create the wide blade that will perform safely then do so. Otherwise I think the best thing for members to do is for them to be trained in proper use and application of the Halligan bar.
-The wide blade is nice but certainly not necessary.
Well stated! They do teach back to basics forcible entry. Believing that you can conventionally force a door in just about any situation. But they showed the modification, and it was the first time I had seen it. The class focused on standard tools, and their use.

Michael Bricault said:
-I have been using the standard Halligan bar for going on twenty years now and am a firm believer that many firefighters assume they know how to use this tool adequately when in fact most do not know how to use this tool properly.
-Having said that, I have tried the wide adz and found it to be interesting though not necessary if one learns to use the Halligan correctly.
-If you think the wider blade will be helpful and can properly modify the tool so as to create the wide blade that will perform safely then do so. Otherwise I think the best thing for members to do is for them to be trained in proper use and application of the Halligan bar.
-The wide blade is nice but certainly not necessary.
Ill have to second Michael's thoughts. You first should get proficient with the standard halligan bar because that will get you through the majority of situations. The widened adz end is a great improvement, but is useful in special situations. After getting comfortable with the standard pro bar, learn when these special tools can be useful.
It has it's place. Kevin will tell the story of working with Captain Robert Morris when Morse was working overtime in Sq-61 were Kevin is assigned. He showed the modification to the Captain, in which the Captain replied "thats great kid...for guys who don't know what they're doing." The guys in Rescue 2 were modifying the adz by adding 1/2" strips cut from the adz of another halligan and welding them in place for sometime also. There is a fine line in widening the adz just enough or adding too much. Kevin has done considerable testing on the matter and understands the applications and limitation thoroghly. It take the same commitment to training and hands-on experience for any tool user (using any tool) to be on that level of proficiency.

RSS

Policy Page

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/archive/.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our policy page. -- Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2020   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service