Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Last year, Sony Pictures came out with the Movie FIREPROOF. If you saw it, what did you think about the movie in general? How accurately did it represent the fire service and the job of fire fighters? What was the message that you got out of the movie and do you think it was worthwhile?

Views: 127

Replies to This Discussion

I thought the movie was great! The main message "Don't Leave Your Partner" has implications not only in the service but at home and in my spiritual life. So, I have three partners, (1) my wife and family who support me and are there for me, (2) my partners and fellow members of our service, and last but definately not least, my heavenly partner, who is my 24/7 partner - through thick and thin. It's never about me - its all about him.
We went as a department over three nights to see the movie. A local business and a church paid our way and fed us. This movie made a difference in some lives. Our life is the only bible some people will ever read.
I loved the movie also. I understand that it came out of a Church ministry back east. They started a movie ministry and got local church members to star in it and produced it themselves. The title was, Flywheel. It was a low budget movie compared to Hollywood, and I heard the message in it was really good. The came out with another movie titled, Facing the Giants. I saw that one and really liked it. I heard that they had caught the interest of some of the bigger production companies and worked out a deal with them. Hence, we have FIREPROOF. I had the priviledge of seeing a preview several months before it opened and was really impressed. I hoped it would do well and touch a lot of lives and was so pleased when it stayed in theaters for several months. I think the messages were clearly conveyed and easy to relate too. I thought that the fire house humor was engaging and the emergency scenes conveyed a sense of risk, urgency and danger. I know as the "fire scene" critic that I am the scenes could be more realistic, like lots of smoke, but no one would see anything (that's why Backdraft and Ladder 49 didn't have all the smoke either.).

But when I got to the end of the movie, one of my favorite scenes was when our hero (Kurt Cameron) was talking to his dad as they sat by the defunked camp firepit. The cross stood there. As he talked to his dad about the critism he recieved from his wife, the lack of appreciation and on and on, his father put his hand on the cross and looked up. Cameron relpied, no dad it is not the same. His father said, Isn't it. And you know the rest.

When we stop looking at ourselves, and realize that we need to come to the end of ourselves and see the price that was truely paid for our failures. The messaga is all about Grace, Forgiveness and Redemption. It is awesome.

Paul Pannell said:
I thought the movie was great! The main message "Don't Leave Your Partner" has implications not only in the service but at home and in my spiritual life. So, I have three partners, (1) my wife and family who support me and are there for me, (2) my partners and fellow members of our service, and last but definately not least, my heavenly partner, who is my 24/7 partner - through thick and thin. It's never about me - its all about him.
We went as a department over three nights to see the movie. A local business and a church paid our way and fed us. This movie made a difference in some lives. Our life is the only bible some people will ever read.

RSS

Policy Page

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/archive/.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our policy page. -- Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2021   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service