Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Are firefighter wives special? Not compared 2 similar wives like police & army but compared to others Do they have "special" qualities?

I recently read an article on Firefighter Nation that looked at this topic. Curious what the consensus was from the firefighter's perspective. Do you think your wife is extra special? Wives do you think you have different skills then your non-firefighter (army, police) wife friends?

Views: 394

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah , the age old question, All wives are special to have to put with the hours that we put in, but you could reverse this by saying are Husbands of Female FF's/ Police Officers are the same . It's called understanding which in most cases some do , some don't, Doe's my wife , yes she doe's But being a Chief officer my wife deals with more , I am home maybe for a total of 8 hrs a day, besides working a full time job and scouts we work it out when can have family time and alone time. Like in the Fire service it's called working together.
From my point of view and without any formal education that makes me an expert, I have to say that YES they are. Not every woman out there is capable of fending off for themselves when we are gone for hours and hours at a time. There is women out there who need to have someone home every night, my wife has been nothing but supportive of my career in the fire service. It takes a special person to deal with the let downs that come associated with being married to a public safety officer. Our schedules are as much as unpredictable as the calls we respond to, sometimes you go in for a 24 before you go off on days and you end up getting forced hired working overtime. When we respond on out of county strike teams I have been gone for up to 14 days at a time and my wife has held the fort/home front on her own. I tip my hat off to my wife and all the other wives out there who support us in our careers. We should also talk about children and who is more demanding, wives or kids?
Cedric - good call on asking about kids....I think mine are supper resilient but I can see the job take a toll on them. Some days they just want their dad.

Cedric Cesena said:
From my point of view and without any formal education that makes me an expert, I have to say that YES they are. Not every woman out there is capable of fending off for themselves when we are gone for hours and hours at a time. There is women out there who need to have someone home every night, my wife has been nothing but supportive of my career in the fire service. It takes a special person to deal with the let downs that come associated with being married to a public safety officer. Our schedules are as much as unpredictable as the calls we respond to, sometimes you go in for a 24 before you go off on days and you end up getting forced hired working overtime. When we respond on out of county strike teams I have been gone for up to 14 days at a time and my wife has held the fort/home front on her own. I tip my hat off to my wife and all the other wives out there who support us in our careers. We should also talk about children and who is more demanding, wives or kids?
I'm very lucky to have a very strong and supportive wife...she teaches 1st grade and then comes home and deals with our young children...it takes a lot of work on our part to make it work, but anything worth doing is gonna take some work. On my off days I try to be even more involved in house work and with the kids...I guess I'm trying to make up for the time I'm away, but I think it's important to stay in the moment when you are at home with the family...they get us 24hrs at a time and the last thing that they want is for our attention to be distracted back to work or texting or anything else...also the kids part is huge...we run a 5/6 and I can tell by shift 4 that the kids are ready for daddy to be on his six days off!
Yes I think emergecy services spouces are speical. Our spouces do have different skills than non-emergecy service spouces. Our spouces live threw all the same tradgies we do, even though they do not see every detail they here all about them. They are persnal counslers.
I am a paid on call fire fighter. Some have written that there wives are stronger than others due to the long hours they work, I agree to that. I also works long hours with my full time job and then with the fire deptartment in my spair time.
As we all know emergecys can happen at any time of the day or night. We drop everything were doing, like getting the kids ready for bed, taking them to school, parties, christmas dinner or going shoppping. I have spent a few romatic dinners in the kitchen after a call when my wife has brought my dinner to me. In a split second our spouces role change and become both parents. Some times we put our lives on hold untill the call is over and sometimes my wife contunes on like nothing has happened.
I am very thankfull that my wife is very understanig and a strong lady.
You have to have a special partner regardless of wife or husband. It is a special person who is willing to say, Go take care of someone elses emergency and I'll go to the dinner party without you. As a instructor, one of the areas that I remind the new firefighters they MUST remember is that they need to take time to take care of home FIRST. If you walk in the door and you spouse is dealing with a bad day with the kids or work and is saying, Thank God your home. Then that is a day that you need to let the someone else take care of the fire department. Remember, you can't expect that wonderful support and willingness to share you with others, if you fail to put in time to maintain the Support your wife or husband needs. In short, as a wife of a Fire Officer and a firefighter, we have to work together each day to make our fire service work.
Just like, not every guy can be a firefighter...not every woman is cut out to a firefighter's wife. Mine is one of the best!
Example- With a 5 month baby at home, my wife wakes up to find our 130 lb rottweiler whining and unable to move. All around his bedding is enough blood and feces to kill a horse! She calls the 24 hr vet, packs up the baby, and gets our dog to the vet. Because he was so weak, she had to lift him into the back of the SUV! (My wife only weights 130 lbs!)

BTW- After an IV and antibiotics, the dog was fine.

I think its rougher for a family with a volunteer firefighter.  I work full time for the state as a Fire Safety rep, and nights and weekends I am a volunteer captain with my fire dept.  I come home from work, change, eat a quick dinner (if I get to) with my wife and 5 year old daughter and out I go to drill, meetings, classes, calls...But my wife rarely argues, and when the tones sound off she tells me to go and not to worry about anything.  My daughter loves that i am a firefighter and she proudly tells her friends in kindergarten that I am one and she rarely complains.  For work, as a fire safety rep, I responded to the hurricane Irene and was gone for a week straight.  When I got home I had a sandwhich and talked to the family for 10 minutes than got up and went to the station to see where I was needed to help with the recovery efforts.  My wife and daughter came with me and helped. never complaining or acting selfish about not spending time with me alone.

Im proud of my family, as much as they are of me, they put up with a lot so that I can persue my dreams of being a firefighter and continue to help others. 

SO, to answer your question; Hell yes, they are more special than regular spouses and kids and stronger for it too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/archives.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our policy page HERE. -- Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Friday

Talking Trucks & Equipment

with

Chris Mc Loone

CALL IN AND JOIN THE SHOW

1-877-497-3973 (Toll Free)
or 1-760-454-8852

Check out the schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2019   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service