Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Is there any scientific data or research that NFPA used to "SUGGEST" or "RECOMMEND" Nomex Duty Wear in addition to 100% cotton as approved wear around the station. Our department is currently not following the NFPA recommendation, and wearing a poly/cotton blend. We are considering a change to NFPA "SUGGESTED" duty uniform standard. If anyone knows where I can find "cold hard facts" with stats and numbers it would be a big help. Thanks, Mike Newell

Views: 218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I too, would like to see that, and for the life of me can't figure out why anyone would purposely want to use Nomex station wear.
I cant tell you where to find it however I can caution you on the nomex station gear. You will really want some samples and try them, they arnt vary comfortable. On a side note you might not want to push the envelope on this one to hard, we currently do the 100% cotton uniforms and they are horrible,. They wear out fast and look like crap more so than respectable, we are actually trying to get back to the blend but thats a whole ball of worms. The standard for cotton and nomex was put in place in my opinion in the days of hip boots and 3/4 jackets. You can argue the point that you dont want a blend to melt to you in a fire. However with the rate of technology on how good our gear is if you get that hot for your station gear to melt, your already dead. Besides that dont forget even if you do get it now your going to have to make sure the guys dont wear blend t-shirts, blend underwear or socks other wise whats the point of having it in the first place. You might not want to forget also NFPA is only recommendations not law that your dept can choose to follow, HOWEVER if they chose not to follow them and something bad happens that was a recommendation they can and will be hung out to dry by it. Its actually goofy how that works isnt it.Take care and stay safe

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/archive/.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our policy page. -- Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2020   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service