I am looking to make contact and swap some ideas/policies/procedures
with fire departments and other organizations that are doing or
considering air monitoring of fire scenes as a routine procedure.
Although not specifically Hazmat, often gas detection falls first to
Fire Hazmat depts that have the training and equipment for this sort
of task. I'm especially interested in their use outside of dedicated
Specifically the following starter questions:
1) Do you conduct air monitoring as a routine procedure?
2) If not for all/most calls what criteria triggers monitoring?
3) What do you monitor for? (CO/H2S/HCN/O2/PID/other)?
4) Do you have any general policies or procedures for their use?
5) Is their use limited to Hazmat technicians or is it more widespread through your service?
6) How many personnel are trained/qualified to conduct monitoring in your organisation?