Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Hey Truckies; Chris and I are interested in your thoughts on the roll and responsibilities of the senior firefighter in general and in a Truck Company in particular.
Are you the senior man, do you work with the senior man? How does he/you perform, what duties and responsibilities does he/you have in the company?
Some departments appreciate and utilize their senior firefighters. Other F.D.'s don't understand or make use of their senior firefighters; relying on only promoted company officers.
How does it work where you are? How are (how can) the senior man's talents and experience be used and exploited to the advantage of the company?
When we discussed this topic, Chris pointed out that this topic draws attention to the "personal responsibility" concept that is being eroded in today's fire service.

Views: 458

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the post Mark. Many of your comments are mirrored in my own department; from the internal momentum of the senior men to how you run in house drill. Company officers in my house take your same approach with training; they rely on the senior firefighters to handle that for them as well as beginning the training session with the rookies. We too are a young department with 67% with less than five years. Having senior men on the company allows for extra eyes to keep the young folks from straying down the wrong path.
Thanks again for the post.
The Most senior guy in our department also happens to be on my group. He's on the job 36 years....I'm pretty fortunate that I get to work with him every tour. I'm one of the junior men on our group and when I was a probie...he was the guy that made sure I was doing it right;... wearing my gloves any time I had a tool in my hands, quizzing me after every run, and constantly asking me if I learned anything new each tour or after training. Making sure I understood how and why we do the things that we do in our department. He was one of the charter members of our IAFF Local in the 70's. He tells us about past fires and war stories and battles the union had won. He is definitely the unofficial enforcer...he's also the sounding board for both the captain and the lieutenant. Often he'll tell an officer, what he thinks might be a better way to handle an emergency and they usually defer to him without losing their authority with the other men. He also backs the junior guys up when our motives or actions are questioned....by other senior members. -"You tell 'em to come talk to me!" He's about to retire and he's one of the last of the "Old" regime. And between him and us junior guys there aint many who came up like that. A lot of the "senior" guys have less than 15 years on the job(and they wear it on their sleaves). Unfortunately, that tradition and the brotherhood may be lost. My father was a career Marine. I understood the seniority thing since I'm a kid....I also come from a strong Union background. But I feel that as a junior guy...I don't have the time on to carry out those traditions...I hope they are not lost by the time I'm up there. They'll be real hard to get back.
Chuck, what makes tradition work is all members participating and perpetuating the traditions. You are never to young to participate in tradition.
I hope you have learned the lessons that were passed on to you and that you live by the principles. Now the responsibility is yours to pass them on to someone junior to you.
Stay safe

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service